Phpbb forums n mysql

I need to find a new host for my forum. last 3 weeks their mysql servers are over loaded.

I only have like 4000 members in the forum but they can’t keep up anymore I guess.

Anyone have a kinda large php forum running on DH with no problems???

Use punbb.
Their forum is light and very fast.

I don’t like phpbb or vbulletin, it’s way too slow about everywhere.

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: -->choose your plan (promo code included)

well I actually use intgeramod, I don’t need it “fast n light” just reliable.
I know IM run a bit slow being packed with over 100 mods but I need most of them but need a reliable host.

getting constant mysql n cgi errors as powweb.com server can’t keep up

[quote]I need to find a new host for my forum. last 3 weeks their mysql servers are over loaded.

I only have like 4000 members in the forum but they can’t keep up anymore I guess.

Anyone have a kinda large php forum running on DH with no problems???[/quote]
It’s not the total number of members, but how many are online at any one time, and what they’re doing. If you have more than 75 online conistently, and regularly go over 100, you are probably outgrowing a shared environment.

There are other message board systems, such as MyBB, which is excellent, and vBulletin, a commercial product that’s used by a large number of businesses. But I don’t think they’d help that much with a busy board.

If that’s the case, an intermediate step might be VPS, which incorporates the essence of dedicated in a smaller environment, at a lower price.

One host that does that is HostICan. I feel confident in talking about another place, because DreamHost offers nothing comparable.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Co-Host, The Paracast
http://www.theparacast.com

Ye we run about 150-170 user that log in every 36 hrs but thats not allot, is it???

Dunno how not logged in users effect things.

Problem is powweb.com was fine till 3 weeks ago and then all heck broke lose and everyone with a forum has problems.

100,000+ domains hosted, only 16 mysql servers with a max connect of 1000-1500 per

but dunno how thing worked find for years but now they can’t get it together.

[quote]Ye we run about 150-170 user that log in every 36 hrs but thats not allot, is it???

Dunno how not logged in users effect things.

Problem is powweb.com was fine till 3 weeks ago and then all heck broke lose and everyone with a forum has problems.

100,000+ domains hosted, only 16 mysql servers with a max connect of 1000-1500 per

but dunno how thing worked find for years but now they can’t get it together.[/quote]
Since we’re talking about usage, my particular VPS setup has the MySQL databases included on same server/partition as all the rest of my stuff. So I don’t have to worry about what they do on other servers.

In any case, 150-170 over a 36 hour period isn’t a lot.

Questions: How many messages are posted each day? Do you have mods/add-ons that add shoutboxes or video to the normal allotment of stuff? That could increase your needs beyond the norm.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Co-Host, The Paracast

Yea we got allot of new post, 20-30 per day n lots of replies.
Its a help forum for motorcycles and yearly, monthly, daily we grow a bit. Runny about 200 new users a month this year.

When it comes to VPS does it matter if you chose linux or windows? Seems like everyone has that option.

Do I need to fall for them “Assisted Service Plan” that cost 3-4times as much as the VPS per month?

Right now the site id down hard and I need to do something quick.

It sounds to me as though “a reliable host” is not so much your issue as a “dedicated server”. 4000 members on a PHP based forum with over 100 mods is likely to be completely unsuitable for any shared server. :wink:

It’s nice to have the problem, as it shows your site is well-liked and active; it has probably out-grown the most inexpensive shared hosts.

–rlparker

[quote]Yea we got allot of new post, 20-30 per day n lots of replies.
Its a help forum for motorcycles and yearly, monthly, daily we grow a bit. Runny about 200 new users a month this year.

When it comes to VPS does it matter if you chose linux or windows? Seems like everyone has that option.

Do I need to fall for them “Assisted Service Plan” that cost 3-4times as much as the VPS per month?

Right now the site id down hard and I need to do something quick.[/quote]
I would always go for Linux. It’s more reliable, and certainly more secure. What do you mean by “Assisted Service Plan” or is that “Managed”? The HostICan setup is managed in that they’ll do the heavy lifting for you and set it up to make sure everything runs OK.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Co-Host, The Paracast

Most agreed and well said :slight_smile:

100 mods, even for PhpBB (which is pretty lite compared to vBulletin and such), puts quite a hefty load on any server - especially considering all of the SQL queries each additional mod usually has to make. As rlparker said, you’d be much better suited in a dedicated or VPS hosting environment, otherwise your site really won’t be able to grow anymore within any shared hosting environment.

If you need suggestions as to where to look for a VPS or dedicated hosting - I totally recommend WebHostingTalk. Their forums are chalked full of great people with all various sorts of experience with such things.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!

Yea there is no point in moving my main site here if its just gonna use to much here too.

Was looking at godaddy.com VDS

They got the cheapest price per month and you can pay for just one month at a time. To many places was it all up front or the price goes up big time.

option for OS I got are

Linux: CentOS 4 (included)
Linux: Red Hat Fedora Core 6 (No Additional Fee)
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition - Add $6.99

would redhat be better over default centOS???

place im at now uses unix

Hafta forget the service plan as it say you then get no admin control, they do it all. I don’t want that. Id sure welcome them to do all the initial work but I like control.

But thats $80 a month with sign up, regularly $120mo
no way on either price

Looking at $33 a month which includes a 2nd 10gig FTP account for just site back ups. Which is good.

Once moved I may hafta move my other stuff here as Im just sick of powweb.com They were the fastest n most reliable when they were powerweb.com but they got sold and service has gone down hill fast. Thing have never been the same since the sale.

And yep I am lucky, got a whole bunch of good forum folks.
We have been able to have many folks but all of them act civial and polite to each other. The usual forum stuff just doesn’t fly well with anyone and the users self police.

fourm or site is ViragoTech.com