phpBB Critical Error - cannot connect to db

apps

This happened for the first time for a short while yesterday. It wasn’t possible to connect to the forum at all, a blank page with this message comes up.

phpBB Critical Error - cannot connect to the database

It came back up for the rest of the day, but it’s happening again today.

I didn’t make any kind of modification to it at all, so I thought it might be something to do with the server (…?) I have no skill in this area and would appreciate very much if someone could tell me how to fix this or what might be causing it.

Thanks.

do you know what server your database is on? I am getting a similar error right now on part of my site

mine is on hefty

hi dtlevin,

I think mine’s on zork (?) I am completely daft about how it works, I just set it up for people who would like to talk… complete coward as far as Mods or anything like that goes.

I just found a topic in the phpBB.com support forum:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=202651

Apparently it’s happening quite a lot, and strangely in the last couple of weeks.

My board only has one or two people online at a time, so if there’s a problem with ‘open connections’ from traffic as they say in the phpBB topic, it would have to be because it’s being tampered with somehow.

Maybe you can make some sense out of what they’re saying? It’s pretty discouraging to find that blank page. :\