phpAdsNew - register_long_arrays error

apps

phpAdsNew Banner Management System
When running the install.php I get this error:
The installer detected some problems which need to be fixed before you can continue: * The PHP configuration variable register_long_arrays needs to be turned on.
How and where do I do this?

Johan van Zyl

You cannot. Turning register_long_arrays on is not recommended. I would suggest finding another script or to bug the author to fix his badly written script.

yerba# rm -rf /etc
yerba#

[quote]phpAdsNew Banner Management System
When running the install.php I get this error:
The installer detected some problems which need to be fixed before you can continue: * The PHP configuration variable register_long_arrays needs to be turned on.[/quote]
I have added a little information to the wiki about this issue: register_long_arrays.

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

The super globals also work in PHP4. It’s recommended to use them in PHP4 instead of the register_long_array variables. PHP4 doesn’t have the ability to turn them off, this was added in PHP5, default off.

yerba# rm -rf /etc
yerba#

So has this gotten anywhere? Using dreamhost running php 5 can I install phpAdsNew??? I’m running a wpmu site and have to have php 5, but would really like to use ads new. Please let me know.

Well, it “is” what it “is”, so I’m not sure what you mean by that question.

Yes. It will not, however, work properly till you make some adjustments as phpAdsNew uses register_long_arrays (see earlier post in this thread where Simon addresses this issue.)

You can install almost any script you like (with certain restrictions per Dreamhost’s TOS), including phpAdsNew, though for some to run correctly (or at all) you may have to modify the script(s), or the change which version of pre-installed PHP you run on your domain, or install your own version of PHP, or modify the installed PHP’s settings via the use of your own PHP.ini file, etc. as described in this Wiki article.

Another approach you can take is to run phpAdsNew from a fully-hosted sub-domain (as in ads.yourname.tld, etc) where you set the sub-domain up to run PHP4. Good Luck!

–rlparker