PHP4? ELGG? Help

I’m trying to install Elgg for my site. It says I need PHP5, which is why it won’t work, but I have no option on my domain management to switch to 5. Apparently, I’m running on 4 and I’m frustrated because Elgg was the EXACT software I needed to run my operation.

How can I fix this? How would I newbie like me install PHP5 on the server myself?

Thanks in advance

Most likely you actually have a PHP5 domain, but Dreamhost servers still have PHP4 enabled for reverse compatibility issues.

Double check this by setting up a phpinfo file, create a file named info.php in your domain’s directory, inside put:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

And then view that page in a browser, it will say the version.

If that’s the case, try in your .htaccess declaring a specific path environment so ELGG will know exactly what PHP to use:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/env.html#setting

See link below.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

And the problem has got worse.

So, I’m now aware of the issue between Elgg and DH. Well, that has been sorted out for me through a DH rep.

Now, the issue is this: /cgi-bin/dispatch.cgi/index.php says it can’t connect to this.

Well, none of my other sites work either. It says “Error connecting to database.” All my other websites worked fine before this, I had two other sites.

Don’t know what the problem is or what I may have done that could have possibly effected my other pages.

I’m not going to pretend I know what I’m doing. If it comes down to it, I would not be opposed to setting up a FTP user for someone to sort out what’s probably a relatively simple matter to the more technologically savvy.

I’m not going to be able to explain any of my issues with much clarity.

The database issue is most likely at DreamHost’s end and not something you’ve done. I’d chalk it up to coincidence that you’re seeing it while working on a separate site - unless the problem remains for an extended period, of course.

The 500 error you mention is often due to an incorrect path, so you might have to check any rewrites that Elgg is performing via it’s .htaccess file. I’d be happy to take a quick look at it if you PM me your info.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

That’s reassuring. I’ve sent you that PM with the login info.

Thank you