PHP Zip Upload

software development

I want to use a wordpress plugin that requires that php zip upload functionality be enabled. DH says they cannot change the php.ini file on my server. I checked out the link they sent me and got an instant headache.

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Installing_PHP5

I have no idea how to program so I’m not going to attempt it, don’t want to muck up any of my sites.

Is there a simple, step-by-step way to add php zip upload functionality to my php.ini file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://php526.dreamhosters.com

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

Thanks! Now I’m trying to work through it but have a couple of questions…sorry, I’m so new to this and a little bit nervous about playing with these files…but determined to do it :o)

1. Edit [sub].domain.com to reflect your domain’s folder name and save.

So rename this to say, joeblow.com if that is my domain’s folder name, right? I don’t need to use the brackets?

1. Upload as php526.sh

Upload into the root directory of my folder even if where I want the plugin to work is in a sub-folder like joeblow.com/blog ?

In shell:

$ chmod +x php526.sh

$ ./php526.sh

Have no idea how to do this. I understand that they are commands but although I have used the chmod function I have never used shell. Don’t even know where to go to find out how to enter the commands.

Add the following lines to your site’s .htaccess file:

AddHandler php-cgi .php
Action php-cgi /cgi-bin/php.cgi

Tried adding this to my .htaccess file without having done the shell thing and couldn’t access my site…removed it and all was fine again. So I guess I have to do the shell thing before doing the .htaccess thing, right?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help!

Sorry for the late response,

No need to include the [brackets] - they are only an indication that the script can be run from root to install into a subdomain if required. The script can be run from within any folder, I find it easiest just to run it in the HOME directory as there are usually less files in there to sift through.

In order to access your shell you’ll first need to ensure the domain user has shell access. This is easy to setup using Panel by navigating to Users > Manage Users and clicking the Edit button next to the domain user’s name. On the following page, ensure that the “User Account Type:” is marked as Shell Account and hit the Save Changes button at the bottom.

You will then be able to access the shell (it’s like DOS in Windoze) by using a program such as PuTTY which is freely available online.

If you don’t require shell access on a regular basis, it’s always a good idea that after you’ve completed your shell work to reset the user’s priviledges back to SFTP in your Panel.

Thanks! I’m learning a lot here…phew. I changed to shell access, downloaded PuTTY and got into my account, entered the shell commands and now it’s doing its stuff…kinda reminds me of the movie The Matrix!

I guess it takes awhile to set itself up so I’m going to do a little vacuuming and check back in a bit. Once it’s done I’ll change the shell setting back to SFTP and then try using the plug-in again to see if the PHP Zip upload is functioning.

I’ll report back when I’ve done all that!

Again…thank you, you are a god-send!

YES! Worked! Thank you so much…I never would have figured it out on my own, well…maybe after about 4 to 5 days of searching and losing a whole lot of hair. Doing a happy dance :o)

Much gratitude to you!

No worries.

Congrats on your success in shell on the first attempt!

Thanks…I’m kinda proud of me ;o) You gave such great instructions so I felt lots more confidence than if I’d gone it alone.

Another question: Do I have to run the shell thingy for each add-on domain I have? Tried the plug-in on another domain and it gave me the same error.

If the domain is under the same user you can just copy the cgi-bin folder and the .htaccess file into the other domain.com folders.

I prefer SFTP mode for ftp’ing and use WinSCP as an ftp client. The beauty of WinSCP is when you want to perform copies like the above. all you do is login, browse to the files you’d like to copy into another domain, select them and right click > Duplicate. It’ll popup a dialog into which you edit in the destination and then hit OK. WinSCP then goes ahead and issues shell commands to copy the files from one domain to the other. Makes the copying process a total breeze.

wow! How much do I love you right now! I downloaded WinSCP, it’s great. I love that it shows the full path to your domains and it was completely easy to duplicate the cgi-bin and .htaccess file…although it didn’t want to work when I was in SFTP mode, had to change to SHELL to do it…but not a biggie…got it done lickety-split. You are my hero! Thank you much :o)