PHP version, composer and ZF2

I want to try to get an application going with Zend Framework 2. So following the startup tutorial I can use composer to get a skeleton project up and running. However, composer does not work as is. So I try to grab it

curl -s https://getcomposer.org/installer | php

However, it responds as follows:

[quote]The phar extension is missing.
Install it or recompile php without --disable-phar

Your PHP (5.2.17) is too old, you must upgrade to PHP 5.3.2 or higher.
[/quote]

Fair enough. So I follow some instructions to add .phar to php 5.3. But then it strikes me, wait, that says im using 5.2.17, not 5.3. And php -v does the same.

Plus I check php version running on my current web pages, and although its 5.3 its 5.3.1* not 5.3.2 or higher.

So I say screw it, ill install php 5.4. With some minor difficulties, I accomplish this. If I run phpinfo() on my site, it says 5.4.8, but if I run php -v it still says 5.2.17, and so does the composer installer.

How can I get the most updated version of php to be the one seen by the server, so composer and php -v will recognize it?
[hr]

So it seems like its just I would need to set up the correct path. Because if I specify …/php5.4/bin/php -v it gives the correct version, and composer installs fine.

Newer versions of PHP are installed on the server with their version number in the name. For your first command, for instance, try:

For historical reasons, the “php” command, without a version number, will always get you PHP 5.2.

.bashrc

.bash_profile

Didn’t realize you could actually install that kind of thing on DreamHost! Currently installing php5.4. :slight_smile:

I’m trying to get Zend up and running, too, and the tutorial is for 1.11.1, but the current version is 2.1.0…