Php setting

Hello, when Install phpbb3 I get the following message…

PHP setting register_globals is disabled:

phpBB will still run if this setting is enabled, but if possible, it is recommended that register_globals is disabled on your PHP install for security reasons.

So how can I enable ‘register_globals’ php setting

[quote]PHP setting register_globals is disabled:

phpBB will still run if this setting is enabled, but if possible, it is recommended that register_globals is disabled on your PHP install for security reasons.[/quote]
That is correct! that message is telling you that you are running phpBB in accordance with with their recommendations! (if you typed the message correctly!) :wink:

This is also as it should be and is the default setting for PHP5 on DreamHost. If register_globals are ON on DreamHost, you must be running PHP4 (and you really shouldn’t be if you can possibly avoid it).

Please don’t do that! You can, but you shouldn’t.

That said, to learn how to do it - search the forums or the wiki - the answers are there (I think it’s irresponsible to help someone do that to run phpBB) :wink:

–rlparker

Lol you are funny, I wouldn’t turn on the register globals, but I just wanna know how it is done.

While installing phpbb3 there is another thing that comes up

PHP setting allow_url_fopen is enabled:
Optional - This setting is optional, however certain phpBB functions like off-site avatars will not work properly without it

How do I change these settings :frowning: I couldn’t find on wiki :frowning:

Although it is possible to enable allow_url_fopen by using custom PHP setups or a trick php.ini file, I wouldn’t recommend it due to the fact that it is evil. Instead, you should take advantage of cURL.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

[quote]PHP setting allow_url_fopen is enabled:
Optional - This setting is optional, however certain phpBB functions like off-site avatars will not work properly without it[/quote]
Allow_url_fopen is also disabled on DreamHost for valid security reasons. Modern applications should not be using that (there is a much better alternative in cURL).

Again, just lilke setting register_globals to ON, “funny or not,” I won’t help you change that setting (there is a reason DreamHost disabled these!). As for allow_url_fopen, there are many posts about this, and how to change it, in these forums, and if you search for “allow_url_fopen” in the wiki, the first result returned also tells you how to “get around it”. :wink:

–rlparker

[quote]PHP setting allow_url_fopen is enabled
Optional - This setting is optional, however certain phpBB functions like off-site avatars will not work properly without it

How do I change these settings[/quote]
It’s reporting as being already enabled.

You should kill it with fire. And reburn the ashes.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH