PHP Sessions not working

software development

I am, admittedly, a novice with PHP and am trying to learn sessions. I have created a small test script to learn sessions:

<?PHP session_start(); $_SESSION['test_session'] = "Hello World"; echo "The variable \$test_session is $test_session"; ?>

The problem is, the variable $test_session isn’t working. It doesn’t post to the page. All I get from the echo line is "The variable $test_session is " (I have tested the variable inside and outside of the string, so it’s not how its structured in the echo call.)

I have tried the older session_register() function with the same script and it works fine, but the variable won’t pass to the next page, which script is as follows:

<?php session_start(); echo "

The content of \$test_session is $test_session

"; ?>

I have checked that I am running PHP 5.2.x for my site. Am I missing something? This is the most basic script you could do and it should work. I tested it with another host with which I have an account and the $_SESSION call works just fine there, as well as passing the variable to the following page, with the exact same script.

Try this:<?php session_start(); $_SESSION['test_session'] = "Hello World"; echo "The variable \$test_session is ".$_SESSION['test_session']; ?>You must use a period to concatenate the session variable into the string. The alternative is to do this:<?php session_start(); $_SESSION['test_session'] = "Hello World"; $test_session = $_SESSION['test_session']; echo "The variable \$test_session is $test_session"; ?>Or if you have scads of session variables and you want to create global variables for all of them, you could do this (although it isn’t a very secure method):<?php session_start(); $_SESSION['test_session'] = "Hello World"; extract($_SESSION); echo "The variable \$test_session is $test_session"; ?>si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

That worked for fixing the original page, but it’s not carrying over to the subsequent pages.

Why is this extra step necessary when you’re already registering it with the $_SESSION[] function? Again, it works on a different Apache/PHP5 host server.

If you are expecting global variables to be automatically created from session variables, then your other setup must have register_globals enabled in the php.ini file. DreamHost’s PHP 5 setup has this option disabled because it can cause serious security issues. See this wiki page for more information.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL