Php "\n"

I’m new to php and keep seeing a “\n” in examples of code. I’m not familar with this. Can somebody explain what this is and how it is used. I am currently reviewing “OReilly’s” Web Database applications with PHP & MySQL and see if referenced here alot. ie simple statement
echo “

\n”;

I don’t know PHP well, but I’d assume that “\n” is a newline (ie a carriage return).

Hi ucurl -

The “\n”, as Will mentioned, is a carriage return. In other words, this:

print “Foo\n\n”;

…would print out the same thing as if you typed the word “Foo” and hit return twice.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Thanks guys. I thought it was more. I guess the examples then relate to how the resulting HTML will print out …once echo is executed.

Much appreciated.
u

[quote]The “\n”, as Will mentioned, is a carriage return.

[/quote]

You been using a Mac or sumpin, Jeff?

It’s my understanding that on a Unix/Linux system a newline consists of a linefeed (0x0a).

On a DOS/Windows system, a newline generates two characters, a carriage return (0x0d) followed by a linefeed (0x0a).

[quote]You been using a Mac or sumpin, Jeff?

[/quote]

Yup. :>

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

While we’re on the topic of PHP, what the heck does the “s” in “%s” mean? For example:

printf("<a href="$PHP_SELF?filter=%s">%s |
",$catrow[“categoryID”],$catrow[“categoryName”]);

This is a code snippet from my own code, so I understand what it DOES and am USING it just fine. I’m just curious if the “s” has any meaning. Is it short for something?

Thanks,
Gabe

This is actually part of printf and not of PHP. I believe %s stands for string; it’s used a lot in C. I may well be wrong about this though.

man sprintf.

Will’s right. In printf() (note, printf() is special. this doesn’t work in print() or echo()) %s means string, %f means float, %d means decimal, etc etc.

Works in perl too. It’s a C thing. Most non-C-heads don’t use it. I do occasionally but we usually don’t use it around here. It makes complex statements less messy.

And thanks for the linefeed message, deke. I caught myself mentally saying “Well, ACTUALLY…” but then you said it for me.

nate.

Good question on th %s, i’m using it as well.