Php mail problems

Just want to check in to report that I am experiencing very unreliable results with php’s mail function. When I submit my form, the message either arrives several hours later or not at all.

I’m hoping that this is something that gets resolved soon. I have a client waiting to test their contact form.

Thanks,
Craig

I’ve been having the same problem for the past 24 hours. It’s a bit frustrating as I am trying to test some mail() code. I sent a note to support last night. I still have not heard a response.

So, it’s better not to change anything on my site 'cause the problem is not an isolated one. Should we wait for a fast solution Happy Dreamhost team???

I just got a response from support saying that their policy server which manages outbound mail experienced a problem
overnight and into this morning which was causing mail from web forms and similar programs to be held and delayed.

The email also said that the problem is fixed and based on my tests it seems to be.

Anyone else having trouble with php mail()? I’ve been seeing delays all day today. This is bothersome b/c it is taking 12 hours to receive responses from my contact forms.

I am also having this trouble too. I have auto responders/ activation emails and they haven’t been getting through!!

I’m facing delays too…

For me, it seems like the delays only occur on those mails that go through mrt.dreamhost.com

edit: oops… seems like decker is affected too

At this point we believe this problem to be completely resolved. If you are still seeing delays, send a message to our support team with the full and complete headers of one of the delayed messages so we can take a look.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder

Actually I am still waiting for support to revert to me on one of my queries about faceman date/time being out.

If one of the server’s date/time can be off by a few weeks, it doesn’t give me any assurance that the time on the headers are correct.

It is quite pointless to examine the headers if the date/time stamp are incorrect.

e.g. (The extract below is an actual case)

Received: from smarty.dreamhost.com (smarty.dreamhost.com [66.33.216.24])
by mrt.dreamhost.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id BD605EAF57
for email@address.edited; Fri, 6 Jan 2006 06:24:57 -0800 (PST)

Received: from ellipsis.dreamhost.com (ellipsis.dreamhost.com [66.33.205.13])
by smarty.dreamhost.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id E59EAEE273
for email@address.edited; Fri, 6 Jan 2006 08:12:36 -0800 (PST)

We did resolve the problem with the times on the mail servers being off. We did that a few days ago. Smarty’s time also is correct at the moment though the logs do show that the time was off this morning at some point as you pointed out.

There was a problem with our ntp configuration that is being corrected now, however. That will most likely get all of the times back in sync as they should be.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder