PHP Mail hell

I can’t seem to get the php mail() function to work at all.

I have tried following the examples at http://wiki.dreamhost.com/PHP_mail() and changed them all to use a valid email from my domain that I have been able to send and receive email from using Squirrel mail without difficulty.

I have also tried PHPMailer and php imap_mail(). No dice.

I contacted tech support using live chat - they said that they didn’t have any internal documentation on how to get php mail() to work.

I used to use Dreamhost a few years ago. I never had a problem with using php mail() until now. Has anybody else got it working? If so, can you please provide example code.

open a ticket. I know you tried live chat, but that answer doesn’t seem sufficient to me. And i suspect the problem is either stuck queue or an RBL issue. If you’re following the examples AND using a valid email from your domain as the sender there is no reason to need additional internal documentation.
[hr]
see also this thread for a possible workaround to your issue https://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-139020.html

I think I have a good work around now. I got PHPMailer working. There is a good forum post on it at: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15695953/why-wont-this-php-mail-script-work

Thanks for the response.

I went through some issues to get php mail to send. I tried a client’s existing off-site email as the “from”, and it didn’t work. (I really needed the “reply to” to point offsite).

Once I made sure the “From (address)” in the header was a from a fully-hosted domain on my server, it worked.

I’ve been using mail with no problem for about 3 years and it just suddenly stopped working 2 days ago. I haven’t changed my site in months. Something has changed in the environment.

Same here.

I’ve been running a WordPress site without problem for months but mail notifications stopped working 4 days ago. I don’t know what to do, this is very frustrating.

this happened to me too, I noticed around 3 days ago. I entered a support request to dreamhost, and the message was moved by a robot to something called ‘blocks queue’

it seems that -some- mail coming out of dreamhost is being blocked.
I sent another support request, requesting further explanation, its been over 24 hours and i have not received any response!
strange that not much is mentioned about this blocking anywhere on dreamhost or in forum…

here is a quote of the message:
This is just a notification that your message has been moved to our mail blocks queue. This queue is information that our abuse staff uses to determine who is blocking us, why we are being blocked, and at around what time period we are being blocked. Your ticket will be used for information purposes only in helping us get the block removed. You may not receive a response, but you will be instrumental in helping us get this issue resolved faster. Thank you for your mail block report.
UNQUOTE
[hr]
please check again.

The mail is working now…

I just checked the email was sent!! :smiley:
[hr]

please check again.

The mail is working now…

I just checked one of my sites that was not working,
the email was sent!! :smiley:
[hr]

Same happened to me,

please check again.
The mail is working now…
I just checked a few minutes ago, the email was sent!! :smiley:

I apologize for the troubles you all have been having with PHP mail recently!

Before mail is sent to the recipient, it goes through first the web server and then through the datacenter’s mail relay server. The mail relay servers in two of our datacenters were listed in an industry-wide blocklist used to block possible spam emails. Any recipients’ mail servers that use that blocklist may have rejected your emails, including DreamHost’s mail servers.

Sincere apologies for any inconveniences caused by this block. Our Mail Block team has been constantly working on these issues. They resolved the alc block on Monday, and the iad1 block on Tuesday.

Being part of a mail block is rough, but it could possibly be resolved; Just write in so we can check your server/setup specifically: www.dhurl.org/dhsupport

I have an open ticket since Apr 24, 2013 - 15:22:17 / #5724060
and problem has not yet been resolved.

Thanks everyone. I managed to get PHPMailer working.