Php mail - cannot specify diff bounce address

using php mail, before the outgoing mail throttling, I could specify a different bounce address for processing bounced emails with a separate account.

Now, if that address is different than the FROM address, the email is not sent out.

mail("to@someone.com", “email subject”, “email message body”, “FROM: me@mydomain.com”, “-f me@mydomain.com”);

above works, below doesn’t anymore (use to)

mail("to@someone.com", “email subject”, “email message body”, “FROM: me@mydomain.com”, “-f bounce@maydomain.com”);

Help.
Rey

You may want to contact our support team to have them check to see if your account is being throttled.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder

[quote]before the outgoing mail throttling

[/quote]

Did I miss this recent change to the mail service? Can anyone point me to the documentation? Nothing found in the KB. Thanks.

If I understand correctly, this is in reference to the throttling DH does for outgoing mail, in a attempt to help stop spam orignating from their servers. I think it went out in an announcement through the panel.

Basically they have set a limit to the number of E-mails one person can send out in within a time frame (one hour I think). While DH didn’t specify the exact limit, it should be high enough for all normal uses of E-mails. They didn’t want to release the specific number so that spammers would have an exact figure to work with, but as I recall the number was in the hundreds per hour.

-Matttail

woops, not an accouncement, it was posted here in the forum, Dallas.

article

-Matttail

[quote]While DH didn’t specify the exact limit, it should
be high enough for all normal uses of E-mails.

[/quote]

Should be, but while it is unspecified…

Sure, it can make you nervious. But at the same time if DH posts and says we will only allow 643 E-mails to be sent per account, per hour, than a spammer will come in a set his software to send out 642 per hour. With it un-defined it makes it that much harder to work out.

-Matttail

[quote]if DH posts and says we will only allow 643 E-mails to be sent per
account, per hour, than a spammer will come in a set his software
to send out 642 per hour.

[/quote]

So where’s the problem in that?

[quote]With it un-defined it makes it that much harder to work out.

[/quote]

Well I really hope DH don’t apply that policy to the rest of their service limits - it is already hard enough to work out whether things are working properly.