Php fopen fucntion is disabled

apps

Hello,

i am using a php application which requires php’s fopen function…according to script the function has been disabled…is that true ?

Thanks.

Yes. See this wiki article for more details. I should also point out that even the most basic search of the forum would have revealed that this has been discussed many times. Searching is a double-plus good!

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

Hi,

Its useless for me. The script uses fopen and i now can’t re-write the whole script which i bought from a company.

I don’t even understand why u guys disabled it. So many things rely on it and you guys simply disabled it. Ver strange.

What does the script actually do? It may be possible to seek more specific help from forum members if you could provide more details.

allow_url_fopen was disabled for security reasons, and the decision was not taken lightly. You can very easily compile your own version of PHP that has the directive enabled (see the wiki for more details on that), but it would be better to adapt your script to do without it. If you need access to remote websites (sites other than your own), using cURL will do the trick.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

The script uses fopen and i now can’t re-write the whole script which i bought from a company.

If you paid for this application, you can probably expect some level of support. Why not contact the software vendor and ask how it can be modified to use curl?

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

Hi,

Its a universal script created for all. Why they will just change their successfully working code for just me. Also its not that only that script has problems…i thought the one i bought was not good enough and is useless and i bought of some other companies deom which i came to know that fopen is disabled.

What’s the use of being hosting here if you keep on disabling functions which are available with all other hosts. I am not taking about some free scripts or something. I am talking about scripts like SiteSearch Pro (Gold) and FastFind from Interspere. These guys are the best this business has to offer and just due to disabling from your side those highly working scripts have failed.

I have no other option i guess.

Thanks.

More and more hosts are disabling that function actually. So if the people you bought this from truly are “the best” then I’m sure they realize that and if you e-mailed them they’d be able to give you a workaround or a new version that doesn’t use that function.

As has also been pointed out above (although you must not have seen it) there’s nothing stopping you from running your own version of PHP with that function available. Check out the wiki for instructions.

I had two different scripts that used that function one was part of ExpressionEngine. The Devs there had a new version out in less than a day to fix the issue. I’d hope “the best” people you bought yours from would be able to do the same.

bryan | website

[quote]What’s the use of being hosting here if you keep on disabling

due to disabling from your side

[/quote]

You do realize that you’re not talking to DH support, right? The folks in this forum are customers and not able to do anything about Dreamhost’s policies. Just FYI.