PHP-Dreamweaver

I’ve decided to learn this (as opposed to ASP). I know nothing, but can learn quickly. Do I want InterAKT’s PHakt? And where is the best source (online or hard book) to learn PHP?
Thanks in advance!

Don’t waste your money on Dreamweaver unless you need the advanced site management functionality of want WYSIWYG designing (which it sounds like you don’t, if you’re writing PHP). If you do go with Dreamweaver, or if you already have it, don’t bother with any commercial add-ons. You don’t need them, especially if you’re just learning.

The best online resource for learning PHP is the manual. It’s got pretty much everything you need. Aside from that, I’d recommend picking up a copy of O’Reilly’s Programming PHP. It was written by the creator of the language, so it’s about as good a reference as you’re going to get. You can probably find a copy cheap on Amazon or Ebay.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

You should definitely visit http://www.php.net, and download the PHP manual for using offline.

~Chell

PS- lol! kchrist, you beat me to posting, and ya even said it better. :slight_smile:

You’re better off reading the docs online because, as far as I know, the downloadable version doesn’t contain comments. The comments are a goldmine of useful code examples.

Ill second that.

-Jason

I40.com - Home Page
MP3Mystic - Personal Streaming Music server.
(Neither of these sites are still hosted at dreamhost)

It’s good to download the offline file just for offline coding sessions- for convenience and to have info right on hand. Goes hand-in-hand with the online version. There are only a few comments included with the downloadable file. The online “shtuff” is a must though, especially for more code examples and explanations.

~Chell

“Offline”? What is this “offline” you speak of?

Offline- when an internet connection is not present. Where the work is done without the use of the www, just by using files and programs on the user’s machine.

~Chell

Thats just crazy talk. Why would anyone choose this “offline” thing… ever? How do you get email in this “offline” you speak so highly of?

I40.com - Home Page

jrahaim, working on your own computer without an active internet connection really isn’t crazy for those of us who live in areas without dsl (or a constant internet connection) available. It’s much easier to write your pages, then log on and upload them in this case. Not everyone has an always-on connection, or even has it available. Crazy? Tell the ISP’s.

~Chell

Isn’t that why man invented internet cafe’s and Aero beds?

-Jason

I40.com - Home Page

Are you telling me that places still exist that don’t have always on? Do such places have running water, electricity, etc.? It sounds like a temporal anomaly of some kind. Did you notice elevated levels of chroniton radiation around these dead places?

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

Well, some places, ours included, don’t have internet cafe’s either. :frowning: Plus, that’s not very convenient (especially when ya have kids to watch, or not much time). Someday we might all be out of the stone age- lol!

~Chell

LOL! Just elevated levels of stress from having the slow, often dropped dial-up connection. Running water? You mean the kind you can get inside the house?

~Chell

I now consider a broadband internet connection to be an essential service, much like television. Dial-up is something you use to order pizza.

Simon Jessey

Offline- when an internet connection is not present

Ok, you lost me there.

I guess I’m spoiled by living in the SF bay area. I tend to get upset when there isn’t an available wireless connection at any random public place I open my iBook.

Well, OK, you have a super neato internet connection. But… we have corn. And lots of it. :slight_smile:

And now back to the topic of learning PHP… anyone mentioned phpfreaks.com? Very helpful site. You know, one of those online places. :wink:

~Chell

I got a good grounding in PHP from reading Teach Yourself PHP in 24 Hours. It gives you the basics of PHP, and also MySQL (they go hand in hand).

Simon Jessey

[quote]I now consider a broadband internet connection to be an essential
service, much like television. Dial-up is something you use to order pizza.

[/quote]

That’s so old-school. You mean you don’t order your pizzas online?

:>

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

LOL. I know when I’ve been out couch-potatoed.

Simon Jessey