PHP Documentation

software development

Hey all,

I’m interested in touching the PHP world a bit more than I have already (which is next to none… I understand the very basics) and I’mjust wondering if anyone has some really good documentation and tutorial for a beginner.

I’m not looking to custom code a forum or anything, just some basic scripts. Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially some sites that have info on PHP commands (mail, and stuff like that…)

Thanks!!

================================
I’d give my right arm to be ambidexterous!

I highly recommend Practical PHP Programming.

MacManX.com
I don’t work here. I’m just your typical support forum volunteer.

I highly recommend buying Teach Yourself PHP in 24 Hours. It is going to be far more useful to you than an online tutorial, and it has the advantage of covering some basic MySQL as well - combining PHP and MySQL is how you do the really cool stuff.

I learned PHP from that book. It starts you off with some simple scripts, and by the 10th hour you will find yourself quite comfortable.

Don’t forget that you need IIS or Apache on your computer if you want to run PHP and test things locally. The book covers the installation of PHP.

There are some basic scripts taking shape on the new wiki. See this page for details.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

I highly recommend Programming PHP, published by O’Reilly. It was co-written by Rasmus Lerdorf, the creator of PHP, so you know you’re getting the best possible information.

Also useful, once you get through that one, are O’Reilly’s other PHP titles, particularly PHP Cookbook and Web Database Applications with PHP and MySQL.

For quick reference while you’re working, use the PHP on-line documentation.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

[quote]I highly recommend Practical PHP Programming.
[/quote]
Thanks mac. Hoping for a slow workday… I’ll get ‘some’ reading done.

Simon, I’ll have to consider it. You seem to have a pretty good base in PHP, so it would appear to have some good info in there.

Thanks again!

================================
I’d give my right arm to be ambidexterous!