PHP Custom Install

apps

Hello,

I had to use the custom installation instructions for PHP found here:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Installing_PHP5

I installed PHP 5.2.4 from the PHP site. It looks as though all was installed properly.

I copied the .htaccess file into the directory for the domain as well as the root directory.

I then used the instructions to enable another domain (a subdomain). But it looks as though the subdomain is still running 5.2.3.

How can I check to see what’s going on to have it point to 5.2.4?

I’ve been having problems with the main domain I used for the installation since before the install so its a little hard to tell what’s going on there since the DNS doesn’t seem to be resolving properly. But that’s another issue… I’ve reported that to the support folks.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot why the subdomain is running 5.2.3 would be greatly appreciated!!!

Also, I ended up with a PHP5 folder in my root directory… hmmmm.

Thanks!

Run a phpinfo() query and check the Loaded Configuration File variable.

eg. Loaded Configuration File /home/.server/user/domain.tld/cgi-bin/php.ini

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

Thank you! I see it.

How can I change it to point to the 5.2.4 php.ini file?

It seems to be pointing to the 5.2.3 file installed by default by Dreamhost.

This is very new to me so I appreciate your patience :slight_smile:

Easiest way is to follow the directions on customising PHP in the Wiki.
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Custom_PHP.ini

I realise you’ve already gone through a similar process and are probably less than enthusiastic to spend time in your shell again so soon… but you can copy/paste the majority of the procedure directly into PuTTy :wink:

Okay… I tried that - but when I do a phpinfo.php it shows me I’m running 5.2.3. Here’s is my situation…

I need to be able to use the mhash feautre in PHP. I was told by support at Dreamhost that I would have to custom install PHP in order to do that. So I began by following these instructions…

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/PHP_5_install_script

Well… it didn’t work very well. So I got rid of all that stuff and tried the other scripts. They haven’t proven successful either.

I did the php5-install-prep.sh that went fine.

Then I did the php5-install.sh and I get the following error:

$HOME/source/libiconv-1.11: No such file or directory

ARGGGHHHHH! So now I’m totally stuck and have no idea what to do.

Any suggestions would be greatly, greatly appreciated! And, I did change the domain to be the domain I’m using in the files before running them.

I’ll take a look at the scripts later (and maybe make something that’ll see you right).

I think I am in a similar situation. I need mhash, but when I try to run
./configure
I get the error
-bash: ./configure: Permission Denied
I am trying to install in $HOME/php/mhash-0.9.9.

Thanks,
Matt

Configure line for mhash would be something like:

cd $HOME/php/mhash-0.9.9
./configure --prefix=$HOME/php
nice -n 19 make
make install

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

mhash installation worked. I went through the “Advanced PHP configuration” article on the Dreamhost wiki, but all I get when I try to run a php file is a “400 Bad Request” page. I made installations of PHP4 and PHP5, along with test directories under my domain. If I mess with the .htaccess file I can force other errors (e.g., putting the wrong path to php.cgi), so then I must assume the error is with the installation of PHP.
What steps would you take to diagnose the root cause?
Thanks again.

What is the content of your .htaccess file?

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost