PHP access to FTP users pictures

Let me start by saying I’m SUPER new to this. I’m trying to use PHP to make a gallery page. All of the pictures are in an FTP user’s directory though. When I try to load my page I get the following error (I did change the names and directories):

Warning: opendir(/home/ftp_user/test/pictures/2016/09/23/): failed to open dir: Permission denied in /home/main_account_name/url.net/gallery_test/debug.php on line 174

I don’t have an .htaccess file and I haven’t modified any of the dreamhost php files. I did try making an .htaccess file but I didn’t know what to put in it or even where to place it. in my main_account_user’s root or in the root of the ftp_user’s root.

Can I do what I’m trying to do? How can I do what I’m trying to do?

The reason I’m doing it this way is because the I don’t want the account uploading the pictures to have access to anything but the pictures they’re uploading.

Thank you in advance!

If this is on shared hosting or VPS, no you can’t do what you’re try to do. See: https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/215562847-One-user-per-domain-policy for more info.

On a Dedicated Server, yes but you need to turn off dreamhost management and make some manual changes.

(Historically there was a time this could be done, eventually disabled because it was exploitable.)

Thank you LakeRat, you definitely saved me a lot of time fiddling around. I think I’ll have to use PHP to FTP into the user’s directory then. That’s might be the most secure way I can think of to implement this.

hint: add hosting to the ftpusers directory as a sub-domain, say images.yourdomain.com. Then you can use them in place without having to move them or play other games.