PHP 5? What's happening?

software development

This from the Dreamhost May Newsletter:

“So, believe it or not, we’ve finally implemented PHP 5! Yeah, for real!
In fact, you can turn it on right now for any of your fully hosted domains from the “Domains > Web” area (click “Edit” for your domain).
Realize PHP 5 is only available for now as php-cgi though (not as an apache module). But if you’ve absolutely got to have some cutting-edge PHP 5 feature, that shouldn’t matter too much, right!”

So I finally get around to checking out the new PHP 5 install today, June 5; code up a new PHP 5-only function (get_headers) and …nothing.

Scan my 3 line script, and re-scan. No mistakes. WTF? So I check out phpinfo(), and it says “PHP Version 4.3.10”

What’s going on Dreamhost? First you announce to us that you’ve “finally implemented PHP 5”, but when I try it out, I discover it’s not there.

Can you tell me, do I have PHP 5 or not? And if not, when will it really be implemented?

And at what point after reading the newsletter did you edit the web settings for the domain to enable PHP 5? After I did so, phpinfo() reported PHP Version 5.0.4. I didn’t exactly time it, but it was less than 20 minutes after I changed the setting.

Also, get_headers() is won’t work due to URL file-access being disabled.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML CSS

You need to actually choose PHP 5 in the Control Panel (edit domain tab).

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

OK. Guess I should have said so in my original post – I HAVE chosen PHP 5 in the control panel. I chose it last week. How long does it take to activate? Over a week?

Why do some people have PHP 5 activated and some don’t?

Dreamhost?

If it’s activated and not working, I’d give a buzz to support. (Try disabling, wait for it to come out of changed status, then re-enable, maybe?)
It works for me, guice, and the other members, responding.

This is beyond the level the ‘community’ can help you with.
Contact Support!

[quote]OK. Guess I should have said so in my original post – I HAVE chosen PHP 5 in the control panel. I chose it last week. How long does it take to activate? Over a week?

Why do some people have PHP 5 activated and some don’t?

Dreamhost?
[/quote]
If you have it checked and it says ‘active’ then it’s definatly a bug and you’ll need to contact support to get it fixed.

It took a while for PHP5 setting to “take” on our domains. Just give it a bit more time and check tomorrow to see if you’re using PHP 5.0.4.