I found this thread on Google; as the PHPGallue developer maybe I can help.
The error "The specified program doesn't print out the expected version information for 'PHP 5'" occurs if the specified program doesn't print out something starting with "PHP 5" if it's called with the "-v" command line option, like
dibook:~ uellue$ php -v
PHP 5.1.4 (cli) (built: Jun 13 2006 18:02:21)
Copyright (c) 1997-2006 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.1.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2006 Zend Technologies
If you just execute
in the shell, you will see why this program is not accepted. If it is in fact a PHP 5 interpreter but prints out a text that doesn't start with "PHP 5", it is no problem to modify the setup.php source code so that it accepts the program.
"utilPhp5" is just the internal name of the PHP 5 interpreter inside the setup script; it's of no relevance otherwise.
Concerning the "mysql.so" problem: Probably MySQL support is already compiled into your PHP, so there's no need to worry about that.
You can find out if the "mysql" extension is activated using phpinfo(); just execute this script (save it somewhere in your "htdocs" directory and open it's URL with your browser):
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
and search for "mysql". You should find something like
MySQL Support enabled
Active Persistent Links 0
Active Links 0
Client API version 4.1.19
if the mysql extension is activated.
As the PHP apache module and the command-line interpreter are different binaries and often have their own configuration, you should also check if mysql is also activated for the command-line PHP interpreter by executing
/usr/local/php5/bin/php -r "phpinfo();"
I mentioned the "mysql.so" stuff in the setup
manual because I got into trouble on a Debian-based Linux system with that. They ship PHP without compiled-in MySQL support, but with MySQL support as additional package. Therefore MySQL is loaded as extension. The Debian installer fails to activate this extension in the configuration files under some circumstances. It took me some time to find this error, and if the extension is just activated for mod_php5, but not in the CLI php.ini (also happened to me...), the image converting process crashes. It took me quite some time to figure this out, so I included it in the documentation.
Hope that helps!
Dieter (aka uellue)
http://gallue.sourceforge.net/ PHPGallue image management