PHP 5.5 Upgrade Issues

vps

Okay, so I’m running a VPS with nginx, but due to some issues I’m launching PHP myself using a custom supervisord configuration (as the default one doesn’t recover properly if the PHP processes crash).

Anyway, this works fine with php 5.4, and here’s how it looks:

[code][supervisord]
logfile=/home/foo/nginx/supervisor/supervisord.log
pidfile=/home/foo/nginx/supervisor/supervisord.pid
childlogdir=/home/foo/nginx/supervisor/processes

[fcgi-program:foo-php]
socket=unix:///home/foo/.php.sock
socket_mode=0770
socket_owner=foo:dhapache
command=/dh/cgi-system/php54.cgi
environment=PHPRC=/etc/php54/cgi/php.ini,PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN=0
numprocs=8
autorestart=true
autostart=true
startsecs=0
startretries=5
stopsignal=QUIT
stopwaitsecs=1
redirect_stderr=true
stdout_logfile=/home/foo/nginx/supervisor/processes/http.log
stdout_logfile_maxbytes=10MB
directory=/home/foo/tmp
process_name=%(program_name)s_%(process_num)02d

[include]
files = /home/foo/nginx/supervisor/conf.d/*.conf[/code]

Looking at the PHP 5.5 installation it seemed like simply changing “php54” to php55" would be all that needed changing, but it seems to fail for no reason, with no PHP instances being spawned and no obvious error messages in my logs, and all .php pages on my site simply returned blank.

As I say, there’s no obvious error coming out of supervisord, so it seems like there should be PHP errors somewhere, but I can’t find any log with some kind of error in it that I can fix.

Anyone have any ideas? I’d like to upgrade if I can, as everything I’m running should be PHP 5.5 compatible, but I’m stuck on PHP 5.4 for now.

Does “/etc/php55” exist?

Also, according to:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Upgrading_PHP:_Overview_and_FAQs

Yes but it doesn’t really contain anything; just a conf.d directory with an imagemagick.ini file. Where would the logs for PHP 5.5 normally be stored?

Unfortunately I’m not using the panel to switch PHP versions as I had to disable the default supervisord process; I found that it would sometimes stop running, so created my own launcher for it that ensures it is re-launched if it ever goes down unexpectedly.

Using Ubuntu by any chance? Dreamhost is a “managed” VPS. I recommend removing PHP from the package list and just re-install PHP 5.5 manually.