PHP 5.4.x vs 5.3.x - Memory Usage?

Greeting,

When I switched from an earlier version of PHP to 5.3.x, the memory usage on a nearly empty page went from 100k up to 600k.

If I switch to 5.4.x, will the memory usage decrease?

5.3.x is using an unacceptable amount of memory and I’ve noticed my search engine rankings beginning to drop as it takes 3 times longer for pages to load for search engines…

I’m trying to find a way for the newer and “efficient” 5.3.x (or 5.4.x) to conserve memory…

Thanks

PHP 5.4 has the smaller initial footprint. Memory usage overall depends on the running application.

The slow loading of pages doesn’t help our ranking either! Try and do what we do and cache as many pages as possible.

What is the difference between CGI and FastCGI?

Thanks
[hr]
OH yeah! 5.4.x REALLY cut the memory usage down, like it was in the version I had before 5.3.x. Pages load up noticeably faster and smoother as well. As long as 5.4.x has the same phprc file, I should be set to go.

Total memory usage with 5.3.x: 1.20MB
Total memory usage with 5.4.x: 510KB

Thanks

FastCGI keeps your PHP process(es) loaded ready to serve connections instantly (i.e. it’s persistent like Apache, which serves all the requests). Standard CGI runs then quits and has to restart again for every request. If your site is receiving very few hits per minute then normal CGI is okay, but FastCGI is the way to go when you have traffic.

Sounds like PHP 5.4 is the way to go. What sort of an impact does FastCGI typically have on memory?

Sounds like PHP 5.4 is the way to go. What sort of an impact does FastCGI typically have on memory?

Thanks!

Max
[color=#FF0000]Get $10 OFF any plan with promo code[/color] DREAMER10