Php 5.3

software development

FreeBSD ports just finally made the switch, it seems people are moving over now. I found an old thread on this from last September, I think most auto-installed stuff is working now, and PHP 5.3 has some really neat stuff that I’d like to start using asap.

Can we get a status update?

PHP5.2.x support has ended. From the announcement:
http://www.php.net/archive/2010.php#id2010-07-22-1

Can we get ETA on default PHP5.3 support in Dreamhost?

We’re on it.

It’s been over a year since the release of PHP 5.3, and 2 months since the end-of-support for 5.2. I’m particularly concerned about the latter.

DH is really very nice and friendly hosting, but this is simply unprofessional.

Can we get a precise E.T.A.?

Tomorrow?
Next week?
Next month?
Next year?

I understand that switching to 5.3 requires major internal changes and that many customers nowadays just want to run web apps, without compatibility issues, but you still have customers who develop their own code and you currently offer by default an old and unsupported version of PHP.
Yes, we can compile any PHP version by ourself but it’s not the easiest and fastest way to deploy a new website, nor it’s in any way safe for Dreamhost to offer by default an obsolete, not supported anymore, version of a such delicate component.

I still love this host but I’m afraid about this issue.
Is DreamHost switching from an host suitable for anyone to a web app hoster? And why you disn’t simply offer possibility to choose between 5.2 and 5.3?

I too have been waiting years for the PHP 5.3 release, and a year and a half for Dreamhost to support it. But it looks like they have no plans to do so. Here is an exchange I just had with support:

[quote]Message from you (Oct 11th, 2010 - 12:39:11 / #4050001)
Subject: PHP 5.3
Hi,

PHP 5.3 came out in June 2009. I would really like to be able to use it for my site, and a year and a half seems like more than long enough for you guys to make the switch. Can you tell me if you have plans to do this?

Thanks,
Ari

Reply from DreamHost (Oct 11th, 2010 - 12:44:18 / #39075273)
Subject: Re: PHP 5.3
Hello,

I believe until the current version we have is no longer supported by the
creators of PHP we will then upgrade. You are more than welcome to
install php5.3 on your site, by following the steps here:

If you need anything else let me know and I will gladly help.

Thanks!
Mike G

Message from you (Oct 11th, 2010 - 12:50:31 / #4050016)
PHP 5.2 support ended in July. This is really an unusual lag in switching
over. Are there no plans at all to do so?

Reply from DreamHost (Oct 11th, 2010 - 12:58:17 / #39075401)
Hello,

I had spoke with our admin to make sure and they had mentioned the
current version we have is not vulnerable to anything, so there is no
need to upgrade at the moment. Unfortunately, the only way to get 5.3 at this time is if you do a manual install.

Thanks!
Mike G[/quote]

This is really unacceptable.

What is happening to our host? ;(

From 5.2.14 release notes:

This release marks the end of the active support for PHP 5.2. Following this release the PHP 5.2 series will receive no further active bug maintenance. Security fixes for PHP 5.2 might be published on a case by cases basis. All users of PHP 5.2 are encouraged to upgrade to PHP 5.3.

Can we get an official statement on this from Dreamhost?
Why there are NO plans and/or NO eta for upgrade?
I’m not just worried for the lack of default 5.3.x support (I can recompile it). I’m worried about the reason for this lag and the unusual silence about it. Is Dreamhost switching customer target from pure web hosting to app hosting and thus need to keep compatibility to let people use their applications?

I’m a bit concerned about the lack of information from the guys at Dreamhost. It would be really appreciated if there were a plan or roadmap available, so we could have an idea of what’s in the future.

I don’t mind waiting for PHP5.3 (although it HAS been nearly 1.5 years). But if we have no information, I feel like I would have to assume the worst: that the server guys don’t really care about the matter. I hope that it’s not the case.

My last contact with support about 5.3 was that it wasn’t coming yet. The reason was something about the repository package version. Debian was mentioned, I believe.

Does anyone know if the Debian package version is still 5.2? I’ve heard of Debian packages being slow to update… but is it this bad? The php5 package page says 5.2.6 but I don’t know if I’m looking at the correct page.

Dotdeb.org has the latest 5.3.3 as a Debian package, and I believe that’s the repository that many people use for Debian LAMP servers, so why not get it from there?

Still, no information, ETA, nothing…

I’m making an internal push for PHP 5.3 support, and we should have 5.3.3 available for testing within the next one to two weeks.

I’m glad I stumbled onto this thread, and that it’s active. I’d, too, love to have 5.3 on my host and would be more than happy to test once it’s been installed.

Im glad, I’ve been developing a new CMS using PHP 5.3.3, but cause I dont seem to understand how to compile php and stuff, I was afraid Im gonna have to switch hosts :smiley:
Andrew, do you think you can keep us updated on this matter as Im sure most of the 1000+ visits on this topic mean that some of us really wish to know what’s going on :slight_smile:

MakisupaVT, vitron: Your hosting machines should be good to go with PHP 5.3. As long as nothing unexpected comes up, it should become available to both of you within the next week.

try’s to hug Andrew for good news but knocks monitor over instead :smiley:

Ack! :slight_smile:

I’m quite thankful, also. But I’ll keep my hands to myself. :slight_smile:

That’s awesome news, I’m really looking forward to the upgrade. Thank you for pushing for it Andrew and for posting updates here.

How is the testing phase being rolled out? Is it possible to request to get access to the 5.3 test, as a shared hosting customer? Otherwise is there a time frame for when we can maybe expect it to be released fully? (an indication of whether it’s weeks or months would really be a useful piece of information.)

A testing release of PHP 5.3 is now available to all customers on web servers running the Debian Lenny release. This covers most customers, and in particular will include anyone who’s signed up or been moved to a new server within the last year or so. Enjoy — and let me know if there’s anything that doesn’t work right!

(With one exception: I already know XCache doesn’t work with PHP 5.3. I’m working on a fix.)

I’m so excited for this, I switched a WordPress site over to FastCGI 5.3 to try it and got this message:

Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress.

Hmm, it’s possible that your machine hasn’t gotten the proper php.ini for PHP 5.3 yet. I’ll see about getting that fixed for most people within the next hour or so.