Phone number

Why no phone number to get ahold of someone when things go wrong - I can’t wait 24-72 hours to hope to hear back via a non functioning e-mail account!

Do you want to pay more for hosting so they can hire a staff to answer phones? I sure don’t :slight_smile: In my over 2 years of being with DH they have never even taken 24 hours to answer support emails. I’ve never had complaints about their support. As far as the non functioning email address, you shouldn’t use your domain address as a contact anyways. You should use your ISP address so they can contact you if your email (for your domain) happens to be down.

Christy

“Do you want to pay more for hosting so they can hire a staff to answer phones? I sure don’t :slight_smile: In my over 2 years of being with DH they have never even taken 24 hours to answer support emails. I’ve never had complaints about their support. As far as the non functioning email address, you shouldn’t use your domain address as a contact anyways. You should use your ISP address so they can contact you if your email (for your domain) happens to be down.

I hope your not an employee… That is a terrible attitude to have… my email is all screwed up and having your primary email address down for 24+ hours for some people is a very serious matter which affects their professional lives.

And on that note 12 hours later, three support requests, multiple mailbox deletion and creation attempts later, and my primary email still gets bounced and people have already complained to me.

To start with, if you’re having severe e-mail problems, I’d use the web panel to contact and get responses; that bypasses e-mail entirely, and in my experience if your request is marked important, it’ll get dealt with quickly (I’ve never had a response, even for trivial things, that took more than 24 hours).

More generally, I wouldn’t be flippant about serious site problems, and although the site I host with DreamHost isn’t my livelihood, I know that for some people it is. However, the fact remains that one of the reasons DreamHost is as cheap as it is for the features is the lack of 24/7 phone techs; I’ve always had rapid responses for severe problems, and that’s more than enough for me. If you really need someone you can call at any hour of the day, then I suppose your only option is to go with another host.

Hi,

I know this thread is about a month old, but I just wanted to add my 2-cents regarding customer service. Basically, I really feel that customer service at Dreamhost has suffered since the transition to the DH2 web-panel. Now that’sa technical upgrade and shouldn’t affect how tech support deals with customers, but the sad fact is that e-mails to customer service since DH2 have really turned into a tortuous event. Either ducks the issues, or has no clue how to deal with issues or–at worst–they have outright lied to me about tech issues.

Not to go into too much detail, but I recently contacted support about some POP3 problems I was having. All was fine until they emailed me directly with a transcript of a POP3 login attempt that included my full login/password. This is really a dumb breach of security. Heck, most ISPs will only convey login info over the phone or some other method. Never blindly revealing it in an unencrypted e-mail. But there it was. My login and password exposed right there.

Needless to say, I was irked. But I contacted support staff regarding this; asking to speak to a supervisor. The support person claimed that he was his won supervisor (?) and I should just deal with that. Well, okay. But I’ve dealt with this one member of the support staff before and know that he does indeed have a supervisor. Long story short, when I dug up a previous complaint I filed against the same staff member then–and only then–did I have the complaint acknowledged and have a credit issued on my account for the headache caused by this security breach. But why did the staffer have to misrepresent himself to begin with regarding his supervisor?

But it doesn’t end there. His supervisor then berated me and said–and I am directly quoting–"…my loyalties as his supervisor have to be first to him and secondly to the customer." Dreamhost staff screws up security, the customer complains and somehow the customer is then told that the customer is the second priority? Last time I checked Dreamhost was–and is–a business. And customers are not a priority? Baffling.

But you know, this just stinks. I really like the features and tech-goodies that Dreamhost offers. But customer service really needs to be improved. It’s gotten worse in the past year for me and others including clients who I am now considering migrating to other services.

We like you Dreamhost! Just please improve customer service.

Jack

i think it really depends - we definitely have had / continue to have our share of growing pains (like many companies), and obviously our support staff messes up once in a while.

i think that most of our customers are pretty happy with our support, and we honestly do try to give the best support we’re able, and to answer questions completely and accurately.

this may sound cheesy, but despite what anyone may have said, i think that we do put our customers as our first priority. i’m not going to quote any of the exact exchange in this forum (nor do i think doing so would be appropriate), but while i’m not questioning the accuracy of your quote, i do think it’s taken a bit out of context.

the person you spoke to is the person in charge of the support team, so in that sense he is his own supervisor. he does, of course, report to the 4 honchos, and you did speak to one of them.

we don’t necessarily think of things in terms of “supervisors” here; while there is obviously a hierarchy within the company, people don’t generally need to pull rank on each other. i doubt that someone was trying to avoid consequences by misrepresenting the situation, nor do i think they were pulling a power trip by saying they were their own supervisor.

i am sorry that you had a bad experience, but i don’t think that your experience is typical. i hope that your future interactions with our support team are more helpful (and pleasant).