Personal Host

Hi, I’ve searched the forums and wiki a bit but can’t seem to find any direct help, and since I know this is a noob question I’m posting it in this forum.

I have purchased a domain name via Dreamhost, but I want to have it mapped to my home machine instead of purchasing a hosting plan so I can host some less common frameworks (getting invloved in TurboGears and spreading my wings from there).

What is the best way of doing so? The registration interface seems to only deal with WHOIS info and the name servers. So my guess is I might need to change the primary name server to something like the DNS server on my campus, but I’m coming up a bit short because I know that won’t cut it. Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure… but if you can see on the domain tab I will modify the dns to point yo my ip…

There is a trick I use to find my own home machine

In home I got a dynamic Ip from dyndns… vicm3.homelinux.net but is a little ugly so I did an A record for vicm3.animeproject.org here on DH maybe you can do the same…

I am not sure if you have access to the Manage Domains section of the panel if you do not have a hosting plan attached to your account, but if you do…

Go to Domains -> Manage Domains, click the small [DNS] link next to your domain then add the main A-Record for your domain (leave the ‘name’ blank), pointing to your personal machines IP address. While you are there you can add an A-Record for www as well.

Of-course, this assumes that your personal machine has a fixed, publicly accessible IP address.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

“I am not sure if you have access to the Manage Domains section”

I do not, since I do not have a hosting plan. I do have a fixed public IP address since our campus is awesome about stuff like that, I just need to figure how to set it up if I can’t use the domain management interface.

you should have the access to DH panel. Try to use your email address and password (those when you signed up the domain name) to log into https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi and follow what mark suggested to manage your dns

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

He has access to the panel, but (as I suspected) he does not have access to the Manage Domains section because he does not have a hosting plan under the account.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

I suggest contacting DreamHost, using the support section of the panel, and outlining the situation, they may be able to help.

Mark

Will do, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t being a complete nub. Thanks for the help guys!

As an update, it turns out you can’t specify an individual IP unless you have a hosting plan. I understand wanting people to use your services from a business perspective, but that essentially makes my domain purchase useless for my original intent.

I may end up purchasing a hosting plan, but I feel forced into it :frowning:

That does suck, I would have expected DNS configuration to be available to you, even without hosting.

I guess the only consolation is that the first year of hosting will only cost around $22, assuming you use one of the many $97 promo-codes floating around.

Mark

if u can at least set Name Servs, try pointing them to www.zoneedit.com or any other free dns manager and them manage the DNS from there

BUGabundo :o)
http://BrinKadeiraS.BUGabundo.net
promo here
50$ discount with promo code “BUG50” on ALL plans