Persistent processes

The Kbase page is a little vague about what is actually allowed as far as persistent processes go.

They list a few prohibited things, and generally seem uneasy about the idea (quite understandably), but what’s actually allowed?

I am not interested in web-facing services, only supporting apps for my webapps.

For example, can I run my own postgres server? (guessing ‘no’ on that one, but it’s not clear).

What about a Lucene installation (VERY low resource use, btw, a few hundred KB of text at best)? Would a socket based one be disallowed, but one where .cgi scripts launch the VM for each call be OK? (the latter is obviously harder on the server)

What about in-process databases used by cgi scripts? With FastCGI I can run a BDB database with an HTTP interface, effectively as a persistent process.

Any clear guidelines on this? I can’t imagine the aforementioned Lucene app adversly affecting anyone on the server, but then again I’d be really surprised if any host let me bind processes to arbitrary ports.

No persistent processes are allowed on shared-server accounts.

Thats my understanding… They’ll actually kill them after a while. (They also limit your cpu utilization…)

No, there arn’t any clear guidlines on persistant procesess. Basically you should check with support on a per app basis to be sure. However…

I’m sure your own postgres server would not be allowed. I’m not familiar with what lucene is, if it’s really that small it would probably be OK to run that. As far as I know you can’t get any ports just for your self.

CGI scripts are probably going to be perfectly alright becuase that means a user is interacting with your website for it to be functioning, and there for isn’t technically a persistant process.

You can set up a cront tab obviously. Personally I have a backup script (compresses website data and backups mysql) once a week, as well as an hourly script running to faciltiate scheduled publishing for a blog - and DH hasn’t complained at me.

I would think that as long as you watch your CPU usage and stay within their guidlines for server resources, you’ll be good to go. But as I said before, to be sure - check with support.

You can allways ‘test’ thins out here - you’ve got that 97 day money-back, and you can just set up a sub-domain of dreamhosters - you don’t need to have your own domain. See if things are working out for you before you transer over.