Payment

If using a promo code, can you pay with Visa?

Can you pay with Paypal?

Yes and yes. There was a problem before with PayPal, but I think DreamHost said they worked it out!

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Thanks dude

what about paypal…, does it have to be verified?

(guessing it does)

[quote]If using a promo code, can you pay with Visa?
Can you pay with Paypal?[/quote]
There have been a few reports here on the forum of people being restricted to payment by Google Checkout, regardless of whether they use a promo-code or not.

I suspect that it has something to do with the particular sign-up triggering the DreamHost ‘automated fraud detection system’. Nobody outside of DreamHost is quite sure what triggers this system, but certain countries of origin, or using a proxy server to disguise the country of origin, may be a factor.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Not totally positive, but I seem to remember someone saying that you did need to be verified.

Also, there are times when DreamHost turns off the PayPal payment option for a particular region. It’s supposed to be based on fraud alerts. I have to admit that I don’t understand the details of those incidents.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

If you aren’t verified, get verified. It solves a ton of delays and headaches.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

I better go with visa then. Thanks! :slight_smile:
Verification has been a bit of a task as i don’t own a credit card. I do however have a bank account, but Paypal apparently doesn’t like it.

I think you are right on the money. In addition to forum posts I’ve seen several exchanges on the freenode #dreamhost channel that seem to verify that certain fraud screening takes place before a payment page is even offered.

DH steadfastly declines to confirm or deny that, or how, this is done -but it seems pretty clear that they are deriving some info from the IP address of the user, and possibly comparing that with user information entered, as an initial screening

To me, it seems quite likely, and reasonable, that limited payment options are offered to some users based on this information. Proxy users, where their customer data cannot be seen to bear a geographical relationship to their IP address, those whose IP address does not appear to be probable for the address they have provided, etc. are, in my opinion, likely to see such limited payment options.

This appears to be a successful part of their fraud deterrent system, and they repeatedly answer queries regarding the particulars with the statement that they “will neither confirm or deny” that a particular test is made, and will not discuss exactly what triggers their fraud alert status (a position that, by the way, I fully support)

–rlparker

You have to admit that it has gotten much better over the last 4-5 months. There used to be lots of complaints about how to pay and then getting cancelled immediately.

Now people just complain about not having a lot of options. But the options that are there just work. (most of the time)

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!

How about the 777 promo code? Is that still valid? Does that work with visa or paypal?

yeah i have a lot of questions

I don’t think the 777 promo-code is still active, but it is possible that DreamHost’s own 9999 anniversary promo-code, which provides a $99.99 discount, is still active.

You can verify if a particular promo-code is still valid (and provides the expected discount) by simply entering it during the sign-up process. You will be shown the discount before committing any funds and you can always hit your browser ‘back’ button if the promo-code isn’t what you expected.

Any payment method that is available when using one promo-code should be available when using any other promo-code.

However, remember that the 97 day money-back guarantee only applies if you pay via credit-card or Google Checkout.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

thanks!

nope :frowning:

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: -->choose your plan (promo code included)

My paypal payment with promo code got accepted in a matter of seconds. And my paypal isn’t verified, not to mention that I’m not from States.

Cool! Thanks for posting the new info. Let us know how it goes and if we can help by providing advice or at least regaling you with stories of misadventure!

Welcome to DreamHost!

I pay up a few hours ago but I cannot choice paypal which I had credit in. I am forced to use google checkout…

Use Promo Code [color=#CC0000]FULL_97_OFF[/color] to host 1 year for $22.4 ; [color=#CC0000]LIFE_IP_67_OFF[/color] to host 2 year with lifetime unique IP for $123.8