Password Folders?

i was wondering how i can password protect some folders in my website,

for example i have a folder called admin, inside is a php file with edit/save… these change the Index file (like add descriptions)

Right now anyone can edit the page, how can i make it so when i click the link (that links to the /admin/edit.php) (admin folder) it comes up asking for a password to continue

or does dreamhost not support passwording folders??

thanks in advance
–Peter

You can:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Password-protecting_directories

-Scott

Thank you very much scott=D
couldnt find it:P

I’ve just tried to use this feature and now whenever I try and access the password protected folder I instead get taken to a “Page not found” for failed_auth.html.

Why would it be doing this? I’ve not tried to login to the folder before so there should be no existing authentication in the system - and I’ve tried it in multiple browsers.

Any help appreciated.

Two things come to mind as possibly having something to do with your problem:

1. The first thing you should see when you try to access a folder protected in this way is an authentication “pop up” box, that asks for the user name and password you set-up when you applied the .htaccess password protection to the directory via the Control Panel->Goodies section. The “Page not found” for failed_auth.html “error” message you report receiving is what you should receive if you did not successfully authenticate via the “pop-up” and have not prepared an .html file named “failed_auth.html”; in other words, what you are seeing is “normal” if you “bypassed” the authentication (by hitting “cancel” in the box, or in some other way failing to properly authenticate with the user/pass).

2. It sounds as though you are not seeing the “authentication dialog”. I know you reported this behavior using multiple browsers, but there are still a couple of things you should check.

Firstly, clear your browser(s)’ caches completely, as having already cached the “non protected” page can cause problems, and could account for how you “bypassed” the authentication (or at least how the server thinks you bypassed it :wink: ).

Secondly, make sure you are not allowing any “internet security” product to interfere with you seeing the authentication dialog. Properly configured, they should all let such a thing be displayed, but some of these products can be “funky” (especially anything with “Norton” or “Symantec” in the name!). Good luck, and let us know how you make out! :slight_smile:

–rlparker