Panel Demo? Access Control

I have about 4 domains of my own, and manage a couple sites including my church’s website. I am looking into moving them all to DH. I wanted to get more info before I commit on how I can delegate access to certain features, as it is important to me to be able to collaborate with others from my church, giving them a decent amount of freedom, while keeping them away from my personal sites.

Is there a panel demo that can be viewed, or a breakdown somewhere of what sort of access control we can give different users?

Thanks for any comments!

================================
I have a promo code setup, email me if you like.

Each domain you set up here at dreamhost will be associted with a user. You can set up a differnet user for each domain. With this set up, each user will be totally seperate and seperate from each other.

One user can have multipe domains associated with one user if you want, but no more than one user per domain.

It should be very easy to set it up so your domains are quite seperate from others. I have several personal sites, a church website, and host a few friends. Each has FPT access and shell access to their own domains, but not mine.

As far as a tour of the panel, you should be able to create a web-id for your self - then you can log into the panel. You can click around, though you won’t be able to actually do much with out a plan - but it should give you a good idea.

-Matttail

There’s no limit to the number of domains you host under one plan.

What plan is best for you? Compare from this list and select the best plan

There’s no limit to the number of domains you host under one plan.

That’s nice, but who asked?

-Matttail

No one asked but he mentioned that he had 4 domains so maybe he doesn’t realize this is possible. As this question comes up all the time it doesn’t hurt to point it out.

I think my main question was answered… Particularly what I am wondering, is can I control a domain, as well as giving someone else separate access to it under a different username. Seems this i not possible, but I think my needs will still be met.

Is it possible, to create an account (domain) to be controlled by one user, than change the user later? In case someone else takes over work on a domain?

Thanks all for the feedback.

================================
I have a promo code setup, email me if you like.

Is it possible, to create an account (domain) to be controlled by one user, than change the user later? In case someone else takes over work on a domain?

Yes. You would remap the sub-dir so the site’s home directory was now that of a directory of another user.

BTW, you can manage up to 75 users using the L1 plan, and limit their space.

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#6600CC]97USD[/color] :cool: use “moua” as referrer

That’s nice, but who asked?

Nobody, but it’s an opportunity to post a referral link to a potential new DH customer. Note how this sort of thing happens every time someone posts pre-sale questions like this, even in this very thread.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

This forum of the discussion board has become a giant advertising hoarding. Folks fall over themselves trying to get their referral codes and promo codes in front of potential customers. I suppose it is understandable, but I don’t like it. I wish DreamHost would restrict their use to outside of the DreamHost domain only. I like to make a buck or two, but I’ve decided to restrict the practice to my own websites.

Naturally, I’m expecting to get flamed for this. I wonder how many of the responses will have the aforementioned referral and promo codes?

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites (business site) | si-blog (personal site with affiliate links)

Personally, I try to avoid posting to any thread unless I can help the original poster or have something to add to the subject.

I do have an affiliate link in my signature, but this never determines whether I post to a particular thread.

While this wouldn’t bother me one way or the other, I think the promo codes posted in here do serve a purpose. If only to provide a discount to potential customers who would otherwise not have known about their existence.

Mark

Save $50 on DreamHost hosting using promo code “SAVEFIFTY” ( DreamHost Promo Code )

That’s a big assumption, and far from safe.

Two scenarios which poke holes in that generalization are:

1. A user finds an ad for DH with a promo code. Say the code is for $20 off. So they come and checkout DH, then checkout the discussion boards. Now they see there are $50 off codes. Who actually referred them to DH and who gets credit for it?

2. Those of us who have been around since before referral codes, know that linking was the only way to get referral credit. So many of us have built systems to get people to DH via links. Now they come here and find referral codes. I don’t think, even if they have the referral cookie when they checkout, that the person who referred them will get credit if they use one of the codes.

Back before referral codes, there was a discussion here about if posting rewards links was acceptable. It was not. In fact, IIRC, DH made it so that no referral cookie would overwrite an existing one.

Yeah, I see your point. The new customer does end up with a better deal, but the situation is hardly fair to the original referrer who may ultimately be reluctant to direct new customers to DreamHost.

Speaking from a personal perspective; I direct quite a few potential customers from my websites to DreamHost and I am quite sure many of them end up using a promo code other than mine when signing up. I am just as sure that some who have been referred here by others end up using my promo code.

Overall, I don’t lose any sleep worrying about such things, it is how things are. If the ‘powers that be’ decide the situation needs changing, then so be it, but for now at least, I will continue to post whenever I think I can be of some help.

Mark

Save $50 on DreamHost hosting using promo code “SAVEFIFTY” ( DreamHost Promo Code )

This discussion goes on and on. Mark doesn’t lose sleep but he sure spends a lot of time trying to get his posts in :slight_smile: