Package problems with VPS

vps

Because I need Tomcat 7 and the JDK v7 for my JSP work, I thought that by moving from a Shared Hosting plan to VPS I could set myself up with that kind of environment. But, contrary to the text in the Java wiki page, it now appears that I cannot install either Tomcat or v7 of the JDK on my VPS.

I say this because it is my understanding that these packages can only be installed via sudo, as found at pages like this and this.

Could DreamCompute be the answer? I am currently evaluating that, but I think I may go with eApps. At least with those folks, I can get Tomcat pre-installed AND have root administrative access. I get the sinking feeling that I would have to spend an inordinate amount of time setting things up with a cloud instance, and I don’t even know if I can migrate a domain to it.

Has anyone traveled a similar route? If so, what was your conclusion?

Due to the recent changes Dreamhost made to their VPS product, you will in fact need DreamCompute. (or a dedicated server, but I’m not sure why anyone would buy one of those anymore again because of the DreamCompute options.

DreamCompute would give you what you need: virtual machines running one of Linux operating system (debian, ubuntu, centos, red hat, CoreOS and more coming).

You can also create your own operating system image with the packages you want (https://www.dreamhost.com/blog/2015/10/08/creating-images-for-dreamcompute/)

or you can automate the deployment of tomcat and other packages in the basic images already on DreamCOmpute using cloud-init (some documentation here, you can use the OpenStack instructions on DreamCompute since the two are compatible https://raymii.org/s/tutorials/Automating_Openstack_with_Cloud_init_run_a_script_on_VMs_first_boot.html)

If you want help with cloud-init I am available to help: I’d like to write more documentation to automate things to show the advantages of DreamCompute over regular VPS.

Thank you very much for that information! Before anyone replied, I went ahead and started up my free trial with DreamCompute. Needless to say, because I was in a hurry, I did not see anything on cloud-init and I went ahead and purchased a month (for evaluation) with eApps. They looked promising because I was able to generate an instance with the versions of Tomcat and Java that I needed via a slick interface.

I will delve into the cloud-init stuff and get back to you.

That article is very interesting, but my concerns are with applications that are needed after the OS is brought online.

This article holds a lot of great information as well, but I am more interested in ‘quickly’ loading things like Java, Tomcat, and mySQL. I’m afraid that I don’t have the time to play with cloud-init, so I would like to see a simple interface with checkboxes next to applications that I can just check and hit the “Apply” button. I feel that what I am asking for is an interface made by DreamHost that runs scripts like the ones shown in the article, giving me cafeteria-like options so I don’t have to concern myself with details that will only benefit me on initialization–something that will only happen once or twice in the life of my server.

Well, the first advantage that VPS has right now is its simplicity. I am a Windows professional, but I have a decade of experience with SVR4 and Xenix which served me well long ago. I am also a developer of front and back-end systems on Windows systems. What this means is that I have the potential for coming to grips with cloud-init and veewee, but I don’t have the time to spend–on my own–learning the ropes to get an automated mechanism put together that installs applications which I can probably install manually, after the initial boot, in a lot less time. Furthermore, if I want to host a web site on a DreamCompute instance, then I would need to figure out how to set it up–which is great for a lot of folks out there who really need that kind of flexibility and have the knowledge and time to get things working.

And that means DreamCompute’s main advantage is its flexibility. But that is not relevant advantage for some people like myself.

So, perhaps I am the wrong market segment for DreamCompute. It would be a sad thing, mainly because VPS prior to the elimination of sudo fit my needs to a tee. It was perfect. But, that’s the way stuff rolls, and I just have to learn how to roll along.

In the meantime, I am evaluating eApps. They offer the cafeteria-like interface I mentioned above and they offer the means to set up a web site with (virtually) the click of a button. Now, they are not perfect, and there are things I am discovering which may drive me away from them, but my evaluation site gained all of the applications I needed extremely quickly, and I have full root access.

Thanks for the feedback astr0viz. I went to check eApps myself: nice service, it’s powered by https://jelastic.com/… I understand your need for an easy-to-use platform to run your Java code, no messing around with servers, networks, storage etc. DreamCompute is a level below Jelastic (or CloudFoundry or OpenShift or Heroku, to mention other things in that realm): these sort of tools sit on top of automatic infrastructure, which is what DreamCompute provides. When you upload your JARs in Jelastic/eApps, a machinery starts behind to curtains to create virtual machines, storage, networks etc and you, as a developer, are correctly spared from such pain :slight_smile:

If DreamCompute is not a good tool for your needs, VPS with sudo was not either so probably it was just a matter of time before you looked at Platform As A Service solutions. I’m sorry we couldn’t keep you super happy but I hope you’ll hang out here with us :slight_smile: We are going to test CloudFoundry and OpenShift in the future and may end up offering those as a new product to customers if there is enough demand.

Yes, I came to that conclusion myself. I think that I kept going from one incorrect choice to another, because I did not fully understand what I wanted from the get-go! :smiley:

Yes, I will probably be one of the first to evaluate that when the time comes. Unfortunately, I have a very important two-fold project involving a proof-of-concept and a capstone exercise for my degree, both of which I must develop instantly, if not sooner. There is a solid demographic for the DreamCompute IaaS, but I do not belong to it. I do have a laptop at home running Ubuntu which is my hack-and-slash system. Ostensibly, the DreamCompute product is equivalent to my laptop system, with the added feature that the laptop system is (and this is a stretch…) free.

In summary, thank you very much for clearing me up on the DreamCompute product. Have a happy holiday season!