Own copy of PHP install

Hi everyone. I’m trying to install my own copy of PHP so I can set my own parameters.

I have consulted with the Wiki support forum for dreamhost and there a 3 different solutions.

All 3 of which I’ve tried. And I believe letter for letter. However, I also end up getting an Internal Server Error.

The most recent which I thought was going to hold promise was by Sam Bauers with the Advanced PHP configuration: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Advanced_PHP_configuration

However, even after following that word for word I still get an internal server error.

Has anyone else has success installing your own php copy?

If so, could you help shed some light on the issue?

Thanks.

http://php526.dreamhosters.com

Check your domain folder for system files (.htaccess, etc.) in shell with ls -lsa

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

nope. Once again I followed the directions word for word and now I get:

Not Found

The requested URL /cgi-bin/php.cgi/index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I can see where it’s SUPPOSED to put the files but it’s not.

Also while executing the .sh file it was coming up with errors.

I executed it in the main directory and replaced the .htaccess file and that’s what it comes up with.

Did you check shell for hidden files with ls -lsa in your domain folder?

What link are you browsing in order to receive that error?

You actually shouldn’t be able to navigate into a site’s cgi-bin directory, and even if you can, php.cgi is usually a file, not a directory that will contain an index.php

For the domain name I’ve entered: realityalterations.com

I’ve also tried /mnt/local/home/bouncdchk/realityalterations.com and
/home/bouncdchk/realityalterations.com

I’ve executed the script in both the root directory and in the realityalterations.com directory (all 3 variations).

And still it does not appear to create a cgi-bin in the realityalterations.com folder or the root folder - I’ve checked it in the shell access as you instructed.

I’ve altered my .htaccess file and since of course the folder isn’t there it’s just not working.

Thanks!

If your .htaccess file isn’t at fault it would appear the shell user may have permission problems on the directory. I remember at one time I had a folder that was erroneously owned by apache rather than the shell user. ls -lsa shows which user/group owns which files/dirs.

If nothing seems out of place the easiest thing you could try is to remove then recreate the domain using Domains > Manage Domains in Panel. This will have the effect of re-substantiating the user/domain relationship at the system level.

I tried that. I totally removed the domain using the delete function - the service to wipe out the whole domain including any services.

Than I recreated it and reran the script with no success. Still get the

Not Found

The requested URL /cgi-bin/php.cgi/info.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Feel like logging in and giving it a peek? I have nothing important on dreamhost yet. I’m still using the trial period - which isn’t going to well for me.

Sure. PM the details and I can take a squizz right now.

Thank you for all your help!

Unfortunately the web server still wouldn’t do what I wanted it to do even after proper configuration of the PHP.INI

So I’ve decided to move on to find another host.