Override PHP.ini

I’m new to dreamhost, and I’m trying to see if there is something I should be doing differently in overriding the default PHP settings. I placed a php.ini file with the settings I want to overide in my folder, but according to phpinfo, nothing is overridden.

It states in php info that my path to php.ini is something like etc/php/cgi/php.ini …I didn’t have access to such a folder, and tried to create the path, but it doesnt seem to have done anything. Any help would be great, I just need to up the max upload size a bit.

I’ve tried to get them to up the max upload size, but they said that is not allowed. Some security issue…i don’t know, i find it annoying too.

I doubt you can just over ride php.ini…

Nimit

That’s crazy, I’ll have to contact tech support. My old host would allow you to use custom settings by putting a php.ini file in your directory and that file would override the default settings.

That could be a deal breaker for me, I need to be able to upload, easily, larger video files for clients and such, we arent talking huge, but certainly larger than 8mb.

I have uploaded files over 100mb without problem. I am using fetch on the macintosh.

Just thought I’d mention this.

I have no problem with ftp, this is a through the browser side, through PHP, ala a browse/upload form to upload a file to a page. This is helpful for those that dont have ftp, or need to know sorta speak.

I am a motion graphic designer and this can be quite helpful with clients.

I use http://onedotoh.sourceforge.net/ smfileupload for uploading through a browser, and have no problem uploading large files.

Don’t know if this helps.

If you can’t override the php.ini settings (don’t know if this is possible on here anyway), you can always compile your own PHP and use that, unless you are running as an Apache Module (then you are out of luck).

I’m changing a good number of the global PHP settings for my own sites. Changes made using the following syntax work fine in your .htaccess file if you’re using PHP as an Apache module:

php_value include_path ".:/home/username/webdir/inc" See the php.ini directives list to see which ones can be changed this way. Anything marked PHP_INI_PERDIR or PHP_INI_ALL can be overridden.

If you need to use PHP as CGI, you’re out of luck unless you install your own binary.

Try a Perl-based upload script, Perl’s subject to no such limitation that I’ve aware of.

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]