Overage and Download

dreamcompute

So I noticed that under Billing -> Manage Account, my DreamCompute plan is listed as “$N per month plus overages”, but I couldn’t find any information about what (if any) overage charges there are for DreamCompute?

With limited CPU, RAM and storage I assume there’s no overage here, and I understand that bandwidth is unlimited (within reason I assume).

I did find one mention that during the beta all accounts have unlimited download, but I’m not sure what that means; does this refer to data transfer between instances, or does it include data sent by users, e.g- page requests and uploaded files for a web-server? If download is going to be limited once the beta ends, what are those limits going to be?

The current beta doesn’t technically have any ways to accrue overages. Besides picking a quota-based plan, and then adding on floating ips, the price is fixed.

The bandwidth is unlimited during the beta period, which means both traffic between instances, as well as upload and download traffic. In the future, like other cloud providers, we’ll start to charge for download traffic but other traffic will not be charged. We will provide advanced warning and details about pricing when this happens, and when the beta period ends. The metering will be network traffic, not number of hits to your sites, as we have no access to your instances and no way to measure hits, but can measure the raw traffic.

[quote=“JustinK, post:2, topic:63122”]The metering will be network traffic, not number of hits to your sites, as we have no access to your instances and no way to measure hits, but can measure the raw traffic.
[/quote]
Will it make any distinction for internal vs external traffic? e.g- if I had an instance handling sites and a separate instance as a database server, would that be eating up the same download limit?

Can you give us any idea of what the download limits might look like when they are added, and what the overage might cost? One of my sites supports user uploads; not many mind you, as we’re pretty niche, and the files aren’t huge, but I’m not sure how much that’s likely to total per month.

Hi Haravikk

let’s assume that you have one database server on an host with no public facing IP address, only a private IPv4 like 10.0.1.1. And let’s assume that you have another host with two IP addresses: one public and one private, 10.0.1.2. On the public host you have a web server connecting to the private server using the 10.0.1.x network: all traffic that goes on the 10.0.1.x network is gratis and will be gratis.

The only traffic that eventually will become metered is the traffic happening on any public IP address. We don’t know the details yet so I can’t give you more details. From what you say about your usage though, you can look at DreamObjects prices to get an idea of where things might be… Also, you may want to think about DreamObjects in any case, if your usage is about transferring files. http://wiki.dreamhost.com/DreamObjects_Overview_and_FAQs