Over usage

Hi guys.

Is there any way of suspending my site when I hit my monthly bandwidth instead of it possibly clocking up a bigger bill for me?

Cheers
Fatz

BandWidth Throttling. There a sectiono f the panel to set it up. Or search the K-base for Throttling - that will bring up an article that explanes how it works.

-Matttail

many thanks for the swift reply!!
My wallet can stop sweating now :slight_smile:

F.

[quote]BandWidth Throttling. There a sectiono f the panel to set it up. Or search the
K-base for Throttling - that will bring up an article that explanes how it
works.

[/quote]

Just a reminder about throttling: It’s not guaranteed to stop your site as soon as you go over the limit, and there is still some potential that you’ll be charged for overage if the overage occurs pretty quickly. Basically, your web server logs are only ‘checked’ once per day, so there’s up to a 24 hour gap where you can rack up charges.

The idea, really, is to turn what could be an astronomical (and unpayable) bandwidth overage bill into a manageable - or, hopefully, non-existant - one.

We mention this pretty prominently in the KBase article and on the panel itself, but we still get the occasional person who writes in claiming that we tricked them into paying overage. Coincidentally, it’s not uncommon for this person to also end up being a confirmed copyright infringer of one type or the other. :>

A trick that can be of some help: Set the overage limit somewhat below your actual bandwidth limit, but high enough that you won’t likely reach it under normal usage. That way, there’s a bit of a buffer zone that can defray or prevent costs from being incurred.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

I thought it was a good idea to forgive people for their single highest day of overage, in case someone got Slashdotted.

Too bad it had to go away.

I just wish that the K-base would be modified so that when you search for Bandwitdh, the Throttling article comes up… But that’s just me.

-Matttail