Outlook/Vista Not Playing Nice With Dreamhost

My computer died, so I’m setting up on my wife’s laptop. I normally use Thunderbird with no problems for email, but wanted to go with Outlook so I didn’t have to install extra software on her machine (I’m only here temporarily).

I’ve had zero problems configuring Outlook, based on information here and in the knowledge base (even using 587 instead of 25), but outgoing mail is not sending (or making errors) and when I try ‘Test Account Settings’ in Outlook configuration I get the following error text:

“Send test e-mail message: Outlook could not logon to the outgoing mail server (SMTP). The problem could be the server name, your server may require authentication, or your server may not support SSL. Verify authentication and SSL options under More Settings.”

I’m sure I’m missing something obvious, but can’t seem to put my finger on it. I can log in on the webmail panel, so my account/pw is fine, it’s just a step in Outlook config (my guess) that I’m failing.

Tips please! :slight_smile:

Outlook is known to do some bad stuff when using port 587. Try 465 instead.

You could try the windows live mail client. I’ve not had any problems checking my email with it on vista.

Sorry should have read the post more closely, this would involve extra software you were trying to avoid.

I know firefox can be run locally from its own folder maybe thunderbird can do the same, it wouldn’t be installed and you could stick it on a usb drive to take it anywhere you go.

Another edit. Try this http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/thunderbird_portable

[color=#CC0000]USEITORLOSEIT[/color] for $50 discount. Click for more codes with added extras.

1. Did you enable My server requires authentication under Outgoing mail server?

2. Did you use the right user name? It should be either mxxxxxxx or full email address (yourname@yourdomain.com)

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Thunderbird portable is a fantastic idea!

Thanks (to both of you) for the suggestions. Sending mail in Outlook is still unhappy, but taking Thunderbird with me is much more attractive anyway (the client I prefer, and one time setup with easy backups anywhere).