Outlook 2007 setup

I have been struggling with this web support to get Outlook 2007 configured for PoP email. I emailed the support here 18 hours ago and have heard nothing back. I am very disappointed with the service I have received so far. Is this something I should expect from Dreamhost, has anyone had better luck with the support they offer.

Also is anyone else using Outlook 2007? Their wiki instuctions are for Outlook express and Outlook 2007 is slightly different.
Here are the error mesages I receive:
Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

Send test e-mail message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

Task ‘Tomedica - Sending’ reported error (0x8004210B) : ‘The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).’

Task ‘Tomedica - Receiving’ reported error (0x80042108) : ‘Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).’

Task ‘Tomedica - Sending’ reported error (0x80042109) : ‘Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).’

Did you just sign up for hosting recently? If you are trying to setup an email account that is associated with a new domain, you will need to wait until the DNS record has updated before mail.yourdomain.com is available.

I wrote the Outlook Express wiki article I believe you are referring to. Although Outlook 2007 (and other email clients) differ from Outlook Express, the instructions should be generic enough for conversion to be relatively painless. Essentially, all you need to do is give your email client the following details:

1. Your email address
  2. Your username (which is your email address, but used to be one of those “m” numbers)
  3. Your password
  4. Your incoming and outgoing mail servers (mail.yourdomain.com in both cases)
  5. Port numbers (if your ISP is blocking a certain port)
  6. Turn on authentication for the outgoing mail server

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

This was signed up for at least a week ago. The web mail works fine sending and receiving, but the pop is not. I also used the following address as the smtp address:
blingy.mail.dreamhost.com
and still was not able to connect.

I will post my other settings just to insure I am not missing anything.

[quote]The web mail works fine sending and receiving, but the pop is not. I also used the following address as the smtp address:
blingy.mail.dreamhost.com
and still was not able to connect.[/quote]
Your mailserver is mail.yourdomain.com

I use spunky.mail.dreamhost.com for POP, IMAP, and SMTP and it works just fine. I do this so I can use SSL without my client complaining about a mismatched cert.

-Scott

The only problem with using the mail cluster is that it might change without warning.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

At least in the mean time, I have convenient SSL.

-Scott

Hey that’s cool. I’m gunna have to try that out.