Outgoing email being blocked/junked

Good day,

Wondering if anyone can provide some insight. Email being sent from my dreamhost domain seems to be getting regularly dumped into my clients junk mail, or even worse, being completely blocked by various server side content filters.

I do not engage in any spamming activities. Tech support has not been much help.

One organization that was blocking my email mentioned that the homie…mail server wasn’t in the MX records for my domain. Is that causing an issue?

Are our dreamhost mailservers ending up on blacklists??? Should I look at moving my mail over to Gmail or something similar??

RY

Not sure about blacklists, but someone linked to the status page recently which alluded to a backup in the mail queue due to an apparent spam flood or somesuch.

GMail is a solid service, and is well worth considering.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

All my email sent from my account is getting flagged as spam by Gmail. Not sure what is going on there. Going to look into it tonight.

Any info you have would be greatly appreciated. For some reason some servers don’t like dreamhost email. I’m not sure if it’s because spammers are using the service or what, but I’m starting to get concerned as to whether or not my clients are getting correspondence from me!!!

RY

I wonder if someone else on your same IP is spamming.

I think that spam filters will have more respect for your messages if you have a dedicated IP and a secure certificate for your website.

• Sy

This is not accurate. Having a dedicated IP and/or SSL certificate has no effect on email deliverability.

I appear to have the same problem. Is there a good answer for the wish that email will get to where its sent?

DCS

The best way to send mail is always through the servers of wherever your mail is hosted. If you’re not using DreamHost for mail service, have your web site use SMTP to connect to your remote mail server and send emails through there. This post I made recently also might shed some light: https://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-136974-post-161916.html#pid161916

For information about specific web sites or recipients, we encourage you to submit a support ticket via your panel and we can look into those specific emails for you. :slight_smile:

Have you tried signing your outgoing messages with DKIM? That may help reduce your chances of being marked as spam.

It would be nice (and easier) to also use SPF, but as far as I know Dreamhost doesn’t give its customers the option of setting that up.

Regards,

-Nigel

[quote=“njh@bandsman.co.uk, post:9, topic:52420”]Have you tried signing your outgoing messages with DKIM? That may help reduce your chances of being marked as spam.

It would be nice (and easier) to also use SPF, but as far as I know Dreamhost doesn’t give its customers the option of setting that up.[/quote]

This is information is somewhat misleading.

Panel > Manage Domains – click DNS under a domain.

DKIM is both created and signed automatically, and SPF can be added as TXT records.

That’s fantastic news - I’ll check that out straight away.

And in the other post:

DH_Elle S, or anyone else who can, could you please explain this:
My site, www.whitneyzone.com, is a non-profit running a forum like this one, but using UBB Threads software. It needs to send out an email verification notice when new users register. For several months now, hotmail, yahoo, AOL, and some others have been blocking those notices. When I receive the notice about the blocked email, some of those outfits report the IP address from which the email is sent. I have seen these:
64.90.63.134 irv-vsguest-relay1.dreamhost.com
64.90.63.190 irv-vsguest-relay2.dreamhost.com
66.33.216.25 harlem.dreamhost.com
Yet my site runs on fir: 208.113.234.65 – apache2-bongo.fir.dreamhost.com

So WHY doesn’t the email get sent out from THAT IP? Why is my email being sent from the same IP address as one DreamHost provides for spammers?

I have stopped opening support tickets on this because the reply I get each time is a note saying “Thank you, your issue has been sent to someone researching the problem.” I never hear back, and the email continues to be blocked.

My site is a small non-profit, we don’t have the resources to move to a VPS or to modify the software so it uses some other emailing setup. My site is NOT a bulk emailer in any sense of the term, but critical emails are being blocked. You wrote, “[color=#0000CD]our web hosting and cloud services are our main focus, and if our email services fail yours[/color]…” …we’re out of luck??? What sort of answer is THAT?

[quote=“stevec@sfsu.edu, post:12, topic:52420”]Yet my site runs on fir: 208.113.234.65 – apache2-bongo.fir.dreamhost.com

So WHY doesn’t the email get sent out from THAT IP?[/quote]

Your Apache instance is not a mailserver.

This is really simple. You can no longer spoof the “from” address of an email being generated. Here is the article:
http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2012/04/04/improvements-to-outgoing-spam-prevention-policy/

Change your web app so that it doesn’t forge the from address. If the email is coming FROM your domain it must be addressed FROM your domain. You can’t send an email as yahoo if you aren’t yahoo.

As for your questions about IP’s such as

It’s not relevant to your issues here, servers can have multiple IP’s. harlem.dreamhost.com looks like a server name to me. apache2-bongo.fir.dreamhost.com looks like an apache instance to me.

[quote=“stevec@sfsu.edu, post:12, topic:52420”]Why is my email being sent from the same IP address as one DreamHost provides for spammers?
[/quote]

I don’t think dreamhost provides any IP’s for spammers to use.

sXi wrote:

[color=#0000CD]Your Apache instance is not a mailserver.[/color]

Thanks for the reply, but that doesn’t mean anything to me. I need a lot more explanation.

LakeRat wrote:

[color=#000080]You can no longer spoof the “from” address of an email being generated.[/color]

There is no way the site is spoofing or forging email. Here are the headers from one of the undelivered emails:

[quote]ForwardedMessage.eml
Subject: Thank you for registering at WhitneyZone Message Board
From: WhitneyZone Message Board WhitneyZone@whitneyzone.com
Date: 1/8/2013 11:44 PM
To: ar~changed~ii@yahoo.com[/quote]

[color=#000080]It’s not relevant to your issues here, servers can have multiple IP’s. harlem.dreamhost.com looks like a server name to me. apache2-bongo.fir.dreamhost.com looks like an apache instance to me.[/color]

You give me way too much credit here. I have no clue what the difference is between a server and an appache instance. In my mind they are all the same. (Obviously they aren’t, or you wouldn’t write that. But this makes no sense to customers like me that just rent space on a hosting service.)

[color=#000080]I don’t think dreamhost provides any IP’s for spammers to use.[/color]
I was being sarcastic. I know they don’t intend to, but somehow, some other customer emailing out of that same email-server that they have dumped me into, IS causing Hotmail, AOL and Yahoo to blacklist the server.

In my opinion, Dreamhost staff is just NOT giving the issue enough attention.

As an update, it seems that today, an associate with a yahoo email address has started receiving her email again. Also a new member signed up successfully with a hotmail email address.

Trying to get several emails to go through to hotmail and aol, and they appear stalled. Even though I can send mail to them and it is received immediately from my standard email address.

Your “standard” email will be adding the DKIM which lends weight to legitimacy. You could try adding a DKIM to the phpmailer script at your site to help things along.

My “standard” email sent to hotmail still gets sent to SPAM, regardless of the DKIM being set. It may be that the more people hitting the “This is not Spam!” button at hotmail on your behalf is pushing your email into the “looks legit” section more expediently. Could be just a matter of time now.

[quote=“sXi, post:17, topic:52420”]My “standard” email sent to hotmail still gets sent to SPAM, regardless of the DKIM being set.

It may be that the more people hitting the “This is not Spam!” button at hotmail on your behalf is pushing your email into the “looks legit” section more expediently. Could be just a matter of time now.[/quote]

For the record, aol.com has rejected another registration notification. The worst part is that the Dreamhost mail system host, irv-vsguest-relay2.dreamhost.com waits 3 full days before notifying me that it could not send the mail.

Setting up a DKIM ( DKIM=“DomainKeys Identified Mail”) is not easy or straightforward. I tried looking for instructions, and they are really sparse, and not written for general website users like me. They assume the reader knows way more than I do. Additionally, it appears DKIM was started in 2008 and does not seem to be widely adopted.

this is a well known fact, Type “Dreamhost AOL email” into google search.

is it possible you’re simply sending too much email? in gmail, for example, if enough recipients flag you as spam it will beginfiltering your email regardless of legalities, unless a number of users flag it as not spam. all unsolicited mail is spam, legally. users (of gmail at least) may flag any message they disl8ke as spam. also you must have an effective unsubscribe service with a week turnaround at most (a day would be more in line with average), even if its manual.