Outages@DreamHost Wiki

http://outages.dreamhosters.com/outerlimits2/

I don’t see the point of this. All the information you need is already at http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/

Simon Jessey | Keystone Websites
Save $97 on yearly plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY97[/color]

…and a perfectly acceptable place to discuss that information, and other “outage stuff”, is available via this forum.

–rlparker

In this forum some people reported outages not appearing in dreamhoststatus.com.

There and in this forum discussions are limited to background comments or forum posts format. Is OK, but Wiki gives flexible structure.

Outage reports in this forum is washed out with other discussions.

Report outages@dreamhost how you wish.

Some times this forum is out also.

http://outages.dreamhosters.com/outerlimits2/

Absolutely! :slight_smile: I’m sure there are those that will find this useful, just as some find the ability to comment on the Dreamhost blogs useful.

My point was exactly the one that you made, though I saw it from a different perspective - IMHO, a forum is a natural vehicle for “two-way” (meaning “in both directions”, and often in a “one to many” or “many to one” mode) communication, while a wiki is more suited to a collaborative effort.

They both have value, and when it comes to which is preferable for a given task, YMMV :wink:

–rlparker

I agree with Simon on this one, I just do not see the need for yet another avenue for this type of discussion/notification, but good luck with it :slight_smile:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

I think it will be an awful lot of work for nothing. Outages are supposed to be reported in the Control Panel, although some people (quite reasonably, I think) post about them here to see if anyone else is experiencing them. System wide outages almost always end up at dreamhoststatus.com. I think this wiki will accumulate data about outages that no longer exist, and thus rapidly become overburdened with useless and out-of-date information.

I agree. I also think that, without the “closer to real-time” interactivity of the forum, where some “outages” are quickly determined to be problems of another sort, it will end up being very difficult to separate the “real” outages, from other technical problems.

I strongly suspect that,“I can’t get my email. Email is Down OMG!” will be reported as an “outage” before anyone has helped troubleshoot the problem to determine the user has a mis-configured POP3/IMAP client :wink: .

–rlparker

Which will no doubt result in even more confusion and delay for those with isolated issues not associated with a server outage.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

You no sayers get me down. With these bad opinions the new wiki only will get spam pages. Good thing DreamHost has the perfect system already.

“System wide outages almost always end up at dreamhoststatus.com. I think this wiki will accumulate data about outages that no longer exist, and thus rapidly become overburdened with useless and out-of-date information.”

Some overloads and reboots are not at dreamhoststatus.com.

Old data is history. History is usefull some times.

I know our comments must come across as very negative, but I think everyone here does appreciate the effort you have put into your idea.

It is just that I really don’t feel there is much of a need for such a wiki. Maybe we’re in a minority and there is a need, it wouldn’t be the first time I have been wrong about such things :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, don’t let our comments discourage you, if you feel there is a real need and have the time to implement it and keep things organised, then go for it.

I wish you the best of luck :slight_smile:

Mark

Hey, there is no reason to be “down” about the fact that some of us don’t think it will be useful. The important point is that you felt it was/is a good idea, and you built it. Who knows, it might turn out to be a popular site, and I’m sure there are those who would use it :wink:

As for the spam pages, that is going to happen irrespective of how anyone here feels, or what we say about the site - it’s all part of having a wiki. With any luck, you can recruit a bunch of wiki-gnomes who will help with the spam control, but you should realize that keeping the spam under control will be a lot of work.

If you believe it is a good idea, you should not let any of our opinions keep you from doing it - I’m sure that there were plenty of nay-sayers around the Yahoo, Google, Myspace, Hot or Not, insert-your-idea-here guys, but history proved their ideas had legs.

–rlparker

I already replied in your other thread, but I guess this is the main one?

Copy & paste it is! :wink:

From the other thread…

I think Dreamhoststatus.com serves its purpose, plus it has the advantage of being official.

If you look at the comments there and in the blog, I’d imagine those would end up being posts in the Wiki as claimed outages. I think it would just turn into a mess unless it’s heavily moderated… which will then get people calling you a “DH fanboy” trying to hide the truth.

The one problem with individuals reporting outages is that A LOT of people have trouble telling the difference between a Dreamhost outage and:

• A problem with their ISP.
  • A network problem between them and Dreamhost.
  • A misconfigured script causing problems.
  • An error from a botched .htaccess file.
  • A browser screwing up.
  • An incorrect mail client setting.
  • The fact that they uploaded their site to /home/user, instead of /home/user/example.com/
  • Etc… etc… etc…

My guess is that it would end up looking like a “Dreamhost sucks” site, even though it’s not the intended purpose of it.

The other problem would be that unless you have a system in place to verify the beginning and end of every outage, it could end up being a lot of work to basically just say, “shared hosts will have downtime, so the more servers a host has, the more downtime there will be.”

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

[quote]Some overloads and reboots are not at dreamhoststatus.com.
//
History is usefull some times.[/quote]
What is the use of keeping a permanent record of each time a server is rebooted? A history of outages will serve little useful purpose, in my humble opinion. Besides, the blog-like style of dreamhoststatus.com takes care of that.