.org TLD Nameservers

Does Dreamhost have a .ORG TLD nameserver (i.e. ns1.dreamhost.org)?

The no-glue problem is causing noticeable slow-down.

Any insight will be much appreciated!

none I guess…

~Blebekblebek

AFAIK, they do not.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

The thing is, I’ve never heard of having specific name servers for a TLD, and I can’t imagine any benefit to doing so.

When using your web browser you request example.com (org,net,tv,whatever) - your request is set to a DNS (Domain Name Server). In most cases that’s probably your ISP. If you’re connecting from corporate headquarters it’s possible they maintain their own DNS.

That DNS replies with the “name servers” as they are commonly called - an other DNS that have records for your website. In the case of a website hosted by DH that’s ns1.dreamhost.com ns2.dreamhost.com and ns3.dreamhost.com. One of those servers (mostly depending on traffic load) will reply to you with the actual IP address for the server hosting your site files.

Finally the path is completed, your computer request the data from the IP address and is (hopefully) returned with your index file.

With the explination out of the way, there is no logical reason to create name server for specific TLDs as DH’s DNS server couldn’t care less.

Have you checked traceroutes to your server to see where the hold up actaully is? It’s more likely that there’s a lame sever (or you live across an ocean) in your ‘path’ that not responding fast.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

I understand the process and was a bit perplexed myself. The network administrator where I work suggested it to me. After a few searches I found a few tid-bits about TLD specific name servers and decided to ask.

I had forgotten about the trace route, I’m glad you mentioned that. There is a lame server in the way; holds me up nearly a second. I’ll try it once more when I get home and at a few other locations and see what I find.

Thank you for your assistance.

I think your original network administrator was talking about optimizing the actual DNS lookup for your site. When someone first hits your site and if the DNS entry isn’t already cached somewhere in the nameserver chain, it will have to do a full DNS lookup. The time to do this lookup can take extra time depending on how the nameservice is set up. That said, after it’s looked up the first time and cached, any slowness is the result of some slow link in the route between the browser’s machine and your DreamHost server (as you’re currently investigating).

Here’s the wikipedia entry on glue records.

As an example, here’s what dnsstuff.com says about one of my .org addresses at DreamHost:

[quote]Searching for lensman.org A record at j.root-servers.net Got referral to TLD4.ULTRADNS.org. [took 211 ms]
Searching for lensman.org A record at TLD4.ULTRADNS.org. Got referral to ns3.dreamhost.com. [took 15 ms]
[Had to look up A record for ns3.dreamhost.com.; assume 200ms]
Searching for lensman.org A record at ns3.dreamhost.com. Reports an answer.

Record is:

Domain Type Class TTL Answer
lensman.org. A IN 14400 208.113.168.189

Looking up at ns3.dreamhost.com… [Had to look up A record for ns3.dreamhost.com; assume +200ms]…Reports 1 A record(s). 265ms.
Looking up at ns2.dreamhost.com… [Had to look up A record for ns2.dreamhost.com; assume +200ms]…Reports 1 A record(s). 305ms.
Looking up at ns1.dreamhost.com… [Had to look up A record for ns1.dreamhost.com; assume +200ms]…Reports 1 A record(s). 268ms.

Average of all 3 nameservers: 279ms (plus 426ms overhead).

Score: F

Took off 3 points for “.org” TLD (extra lookups may be required to find the parent servers).
Took off 8 points for having no glue at a parent server [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].
Took off 6 points for having no glue for ns3.dreamhost.com [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].
Took off 6 points for having no glue for ns2.dreamhost.com [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].
Took off 6 points for having no glue for ns1.dreamhost.com [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].
Took off 20 points for >200ms average response time.[/quote]
This was just as bad as this one for a “.us” address that is registered with another registrar but hosted at DreamHost:

[quote]Searching for dh.promo-codes.us A record at g.root-servers.net Got referral to A.GTLD.BIZ. [took 37 ms]
Searching for dh.promo-codes.us A record at A.GTLD.BIZ. Got referral to NS2.DREAMHOST.COM. [took 26 ms]
[Had to look up A record for NS2.DREAMHOST.COM.; assume 200ms]
Searching for dh.promo-codes.us A record at NS2.DREAMHOST.COM. Reports an answer.

Record is:

dh.promo-codes.us. A IN 14400 208.113.171.145

Looking up at NS3.DREAMHOST.COM… [Had to look up A record for ns3.dreamhost.com; assume +200ms]…Reports 1 A record(s). 265ms.
Looking up at NS1.DREAMHOST.COM… [Had to look up A record for ns1.dreamhost.com; assume +200ms]…Reports 1 A record(s). 272ms.
Looking up at NS2.DREAMHOST.COM… [Had to look up A record for ns2.dreamhost.com; assume +200ms]…Reports 1 A record(s). 311ms.

Average of all 3 nameservers: 282ms (plus 263ms overhead).

Score: F

Took off 8 points for “.us” TLD (extra lookups likely will be necessary to find the parent servers).
Took off 8 points for having no glue at a parent server [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].
Took off 6 points for having no glue for ns3.dreamhost.com [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].
Took off 6 points for having no glue for ns1.dreamhost.com [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].
Took off 6 points for having no glue for ns2.dreamhost.com [adds 2 extra packets to lookup].
Took off 20 points for >200ms average response time.[/quote]
Contrast this with a “.com” address of mine:

[quote]Searching for remarkablycurious.com A record at m.root-servers.net Got referral to E.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. [took 83 ms]
Searching for remarkablycurious.com A record at E.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. Got referral to ns1.dreamhost.com. [took 89 ms]
Searching for remarkablycurious.com A record at ns1.dreamhost.com. Reports an answer.

Record is:

remarkablycurious.com. A IN 14400 208.113.173.224

Looking up at ns1.dreamhost.com… Reports 1 A record(s). 74ms.
Looking up at ns2.dreamhost.com… Reports 1 A record(s). 104ms.
Looking up at ns3.dreamhost.com… Reports 1 A record(s). 65ms.

Average of all 3 nameservers: 81ms (plus 172ms overhead).

Score: A

Took off 4 points for >80ms average response time.[/quote]
Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options