Order that files load

I am trying to code a page that has a .swf at the top and then is followed with a fair amount of text and small images. What I want is for the flash movie to load first so that people can watch (listen) while the rest of the page loads. But what seems to be happening is that everything else on the page loads and then the flash file downloads. (I am still connecting off a 56K dial-up line; this probably isn’t really an issue for people with dedicated connections)

Is there any way to fix this, or otherwise any kind of rule on what order files are loaded.

Thx,
Mitya

[quote]But what seems to be happening is that everything else on the page loads and then the flash file downloads. (I am still connecting off a 56K dial-up line; this probably isn’t really an issue for people with dedicated connections)

Is there any way to fix this, or otherwise any kind of rule on what order files are loaded.[/quote]
Not without JavaScript or by using frames, AFAIK.

You could probably guess that a Flash file is of a WAY MUCH LARGER size than all the other components on that page, and therefore takes looonger to load.

Actually, a more logical way to present something similar is to let your viewers READ the text first WHILE the Flash is loading. Many sites do just that.

Yours Truly, nameslave

nameslave.com - Buying and selling domain names since 1997
HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting

thanks.

obviously it’s larger (400k vs, say, 4k), and i can’t exactly tell for sure what file is loading when. maybe the flash file starts loading first but takes so long that it only appears after everything else is loaded.

i know the usual logic is the other way around, but my experience – previous to putting the flash file on the page – is that (on a dial-up line) elements load slowly but surely: there are about forty images each with a bit of text, so it takes a little time. i thought the .swf would help keep one interested.

and the point of the page is the text anyway. if the flash file loads after you’ve read the text, (in this case) there’s no reason to keep the page open.

mitya