Optimization

wordpress

My website now is kind of sluggish. What kind of maintenance work should I do to make it faster? I’m just running Wordpress in it.

Without seeing your site, we can only guess, but here are some suggestions:

1. Install the “yslow” extension for FireFox and check your site using it. There are many good suggestions available there.

2. Carefully evaluate the number and nature of any WordPress plug-ins you are using, and eliminae those not absolutely necessary.

3. If your site is large, make usre you index your MySQL tables peridically

4. Install and enable wp-cache, or super-cache

… there are otheres, but those are where I would start. :wink:

–rlparker

Sorry for butting in on your thread castillo, I have a question for the WP gurus while you have their attention.

I’m not a WordPress user but have installed quite a few for other users and ‘walked away’. I’ve noticed wp-cache and super-cache mentioned consistently in posts regarding WordPress optimisation within shared environs. I assume a user would likely have to choose one over the other, hence my following query…

Are there fundamental differences between the two plug-ins that makes one solution more apt for a particular website/situation than the other, or do they both perform equally well ‘across the board’?

I don’t claim to be a WordPress guru by any means, but I have some experience with it and the caching plug-ins. :wink:

There is a really good description of the differences between wp-cache and super-cache on the WP Super-cache website, as well as a “short version” of the differences from WP developer Donncha on the WP support forums.

To my way of thinking, either is better than nothing, and which you choose depends on personal preference and the end results you are looking to achieve.

Note that wp-super-cache is a fork of wp-cache, and adds additional features.

I’d summarize it up by saying the wp-cache saves hits to the database (which is often the most significant cause of slow loading pages), but still uses PHP to render the page while super-cache actually serves static HTML pages (which saves not only the database interaction, but also the PHP loading/processing time.)

This difference can be significant on a host like DreamHost where PHP is running as PHP-CGI. There are other differences indicated for developers, but I have not really explored those; I’ve only looked at it from a user’s standpoint. :wink:

–rlparker

Awesome! Thanks for that rl :wink: