OP, Internet Connection or Bot?

Does anyone happen to know what CASPERXP stands for? This is in my access log: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; CASPERXP)
Not knowing what the last part stands for in the parentheses and curious about the name, I did a search only to find a backup/copy utility by the same name (well, almost - I found Casper XP).
IP: 13.13.16.1 - -
IP location: United States - New York - Rochester - Xerox Palo Alto Research Center.
It’s a little weird. It first came in as Mozilla/3.01 (compatible;)
Then switched to Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; CASPERXP)
Any thoughts?

TIX,

Hope

A Google search reveals that Casper XP is a backup software for Windows XP, released by www.fssdev.com.
Cheers,
marsbar

Thanks Mars but I already knew that. I was wondering if anyone else heard of CASPERXP and why I’d found it in my access logs on the server. I considered it could be the utility “Casper XP”, but set that aside until I heard confirmation - that’s why I posted.

People can’t copy/backup people’s website over the internet or else that would be considered a bot (and a bad one?), wouldn’t it? I’ve heard of a few, one of them being WebCopier, also one of several I’ve blocked in my .htaccess but hadn’t heard of CASPERXP.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks,
Hope

Oops–I am awfully sorry I didn’t read your first post properly before replying!

• marsbar

[quote][i]Oops–I am awfully sorry I didn’t read your first post properly before replying!

• marsbar[/i]

[/quote]

No worries mate! But after seeing your Username, for some reason I’m having a craving for chocolate. Possibly because I’m trying to stay off of it… LOL!

Hope

People can’t copy/backup people’s website over the internet or else that would be considered a bot (and a bad one?), wouldn’t it?

You don’t need a “bot” to download a copy of someone’s web site, and there’s nothing inherently bad about doing so. For example, I used wget just this morning to download a copy of the HTML-format Subversion book.

The CASPERXP in your user-agent log is almost certainly someone with Casper XP installed. I’ve never heard of it before, so I don’t know what it does with regard to the web, but any application can modify IE’s user-agent string. Additionally, it’s trivial to do yourself. You can put whatever you want in there.

I can just about guarantee this is nothing to be concerned about.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

You don’t need a “bot” to download a copy of someone’s web site, and there’s nothing inherently bad about doing so. For example, I used wget just this morning to download a copy of the HTML-format Subversion book.

I guess I shouldn’t have used the generic form “bot”. Sorry, I’m not a techie and don’t know the individual classifications/technical terms for these programs. To me, they are “bots” if they have the capability of copying and downloading an entire site. If that term is incorrect then I should probably sit down one day and learn the differences. I understand not all bots (or similar programs) are bad. In your case, I wouldn’t consider it a bad use of the wget software but in other instances, I would. This thread on Webmasterworld pretty much sums up where I’m at. I just don’t like bandwidth hogs and possible content thieves and like to keep up to date on which ones are doing what. Not that it helps much - I realize it’s a losing battle, but I feel it’s good idea try to protect oneself. As you said, it’s probably nothing to worry about but being curious, I thought I’d ask. Thanks for your reply.