One user's website sharing another's jpegs?

Hi, all. There’s some web server trivia I don’t know… Hopefully someone can set me straight.

I have a user that I’ve set up for FTP so that I can FTP image files from home up to my server. (I didn’t want to use the same user that hosts my website, since FTP sends passwords in plain text.) I’ve got the cameras uploading images correctly to the FTP user’s home folder.

I thought I would be able to create a symbolic link from the web server user’s folder to the FTP user’s folder so that the images could be visible via HTTP for my website. Interestingly, when I try to access those images via my web browser I get:

“Forbidden You don’t have permission to access /camera1.jpg on this server. Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.”

Interestingly, if I put a file called foo.html in the FTP user’s folder and create a symbolic link from the web user’s web directory, that works fine. Is my web server not allowing jpeg files to be linked, or am I insane? (Or both?)

Is there an easy way for me to expose those jpeg files via the web user’s web folder without running a script via a cron job to copy them over every few seconds? I’d love to hear ideas.

Thanks!

Jake

If they’re to be displayed without further processing you could setup an images.domain.com subdomain and hand it’s control to the FTP user. This way you’d have an image repository that you could link files from via standard URL methods. If you need to import them for manipulation purposes (resizing, thumbnail creation, etc.) then symbolic linking via SSH or remapping of the folder as domain.com/process would allow your main user to copy the files into a directory it has full control over. Another method could be implementing an import-via-url plugin of some description (if you’re using a Gallery script).

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Oh! What do you know? I can do that. You are a genius. Thank you!

Jake