One question about rewards system

My referral scheme is currently set to get 10% of all referral payments forever and 5% of theirs forever. However, if I set up a coupon that discounts $50, I will get $47 if someone signs up with DH for any yearly plan, right? However, it seems to me that the $47 rewarded to me is a one-time payment rather than 10% per every year that I prefer.

So you are saying, not only do I get $47 but also the 10% of the next year and so forth? This doesn’t make sense cause’ no one would ever choose to get paid a one-time reward of $97 max…

Economics and Finance Guide
Make a Website

If you set to 10%, you will get $4.7 ($47*10%) every year as long as the customer stays with DH.

If you set to one-time payment, you will get $47 only once.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Thanks, man. =)

Got it.

Make a Website

No, Patrick, he will not…

It’s an “either or” thing. You only can offer a discount via a promo code, and, as it says on the rewards pages, any promo code used will “automagically” switch that referral to a one-time payment choice no matter what you have indicated as your overall preference.

Therefore, if you set 10%, you will get 10% of whatever they paid - and it won’t be “$47.00” because that will not be their payment (they have no discount to apply!).

To the original poster: There is no way to offer a “discount” via a promo code and retain 10%/5% status on that/those referral/secondary referrals.

If you offer a promo code, anyone using those will be strictly a one-time payment. This makes perfect sense as the ongoing percentage arrangement will, you hope at least, earn you a lot more than the “one-time” payment - which is why you don’t have a discount to pass out with that scheme (DH may end up paying you more than $97 overall!).

–rlparker

Oh ya… You are right. You get 10% of whatever they paid. So if you choose 10%, you will get $10 ($100X10%) if the customer pays $100. And this applies as long as the customer stays with DH.

I am not aware of this. Do you mean it will be one-time payment REGARDLESS on your rewarding setting if we offer a promo code with any discount?

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Yes, and that is also true if you offer a promo code with no discount… if a promo code is used, the payment will be a “one time” payment - the percent of revenue function can only be used with a referrer, not a promo code.

Once a promo code is entered, it supersedes referrers and becomes a one-time payment to the creator of the promo code (if, that is, all value is not given in the promo code via additional features).

–rlparker

I did not know this :frowning:

Thanks for the info. Hope ichsie is not confused by me

THIS SUCKS!!!

So the only way to get 10% forever rewards is to:

1. not only you have to set up as getting 10% / 5% forever.
  2. but also the referral has to sign up through my referral URL and using NO promo codes at all.

Otherwise, we’re doomed with one-time payments?

Is this correct?

Make a Website

I’m afraid, yes.

What is so bad about one-time payment?

[quote]THIS SUCKS!!!

So the only way to get 10% forever rewards is to:

1. not only you have to set up as getting 10% / 5% forever.
  2. but also the referral has to sign up through my referral URL and using NO promo codes at all.

Otherwise, we’re doomed with one-time payments?

Is this correct?[/quote]
Well, it is correct, but not completely. They can also sign up directly on the signup page using your referrer code by entering it on the screen (they don’t have to come through referral url). You are correct they cannot use a promo code at all if you are to get anything for the referral, unless they use one of your promo codes. or the promo code of one of your primary referrees (and then you get a “one-time payment” if you didn’t use it all up giving away features).

I don’t think “it sucks” … the “promo code” method is just a different program than the old “referrer” program. The promo code system is the 'newer" one, and because of the discounts you can choose to offer (and features) pretty much has eliminated the use of the referral code by most people.

That, plus the fact the the entry of a promo code by someone signing up, over-rides any referrer cookie, or the entry of a referrer on the sign up screen.

You can still use the referrer, and therefore the 10 % / 5% payment choice, but you can’t offer a discount and do that, and you better hope they don’t use a promo code that over-rides your referral. :wink:

Think of it this way - DreamHost is going to pay you something either way … what they are not going to do is pay you “once”, or take part of that money and use it to give whoever you referred a discount", and continue to pay you ongoing. This ought to be easy for an “econguru” to understand "per your sig) :wink:

Saying “THIS SUCKS” is pretty ignorant. It’s all “free money” anyway, and DreamHost doesn’t have to pay you anything at all. If you don’t like the program, no one is twisting your arm to use it, or refer anyone; it’s there if you choose to use it, but you don’t have to participate. :wink:

–rlparker

Now please confirm this:

I have set up a promo code, say offers $97 the max for discount, someone signed up with it (supplying it when signing up), so,

1. the rewards system treats this as a one-time reward payment, and I’ll get $97 - $97 = 0;
  2. and because it is a sale by promo code, I’ll be rewarded only once, that is, the $0. I have no recurring rewards after this, either.

Therefore, all codes that offer $97 discount actually do NO good to the referrers like me, right? Because a code like this not only gives me zero one-time payment but also ripped me off recurring rewards.

[quote]Now please confirm this:

I have set up a promo code, say offers $97 the max for discount, someone signed up with it (supplying it when signing up), so,[/quote]
Then you have a problem, because you can no longer offer (and your referees will no longer receive) a $97 discount (and this has been true for quite a while now).

[quote]1. the rewards system treats this as a one-time reward payment, and I’ll get $97 - $97 = 0;
2. and because it is a sale by promo code, I’ll be rewarded only once, that is, the $0. I have no recurring rewards after this, either.[/quote]
Yep - except for what I mentioned above about the $97.00 bit. Now, since you can’t give $97 discount in cash anymore, a discount offering a “maximum cash discount” (and no other features!), would only give $50.00 off to the user of the promo code (and leave a $47.00 payment to you - one time).

It didn’t “rip you off recurring rewards” (you were warned of that clearly in the screen when you created the promo code), but other than that, and the fact that a “$97 discount” just won’t work anymore, it does do you “no good” (if monetary rewards are how you define “good”)except for potential secondary referrals where you get $5.00.

That’s nothing new … and that should not be any surprise; it’s always been like that from the very beginning of the promo code program. :wink:

Now, however, instead of competing against $97.00 discount promo codes that pay you nothing fro the initial referral, you could offer a “max $50.00 off” promo code and keep $47.00 for yourself, but you will still have to compete with those who give away some, or all, of that $47.00 left after the cash discount in “features” for the new user (which, like the old $97.00 discount, is better for the new user but pays you little or nothing).

There are a lot of these “give it all away” promo codes out there, so good luck with that. :wink:

–rlparker

Thanks for the clarification. It helps a lot.

Good day and good luck to you, sir! =)

Make a Website

You are welcome, and good luck to you with your promotion(s)! :slight_smile:

–rlparker