One of my friend may sign up with DH

He’s got a question:

By using wordpress without wp-cache plugin, what’s the maximum daily pageviews / page refreshes the shared plan of DH can handle? I mean, before having to upgrade to a PS plan.

Can anyone give me an approx figure? I’m thinking, if you got 1 visit every 3 seconds, it’s 28800 pageviews a day? DH shared plan can handle that right?

New Webster Project: Redefine all English Dictionary Words!
Make a Website

Yep.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

While I don’t have any data to provide an accurate answer, why have the cache off? Turning it on will ease the load on the server and give the users quicker site response time.

-Scott

There is no way to make even a reasonable estimate of how many pageviews an uncached WordPress site can service on a shared plan without seeing the site. A badly configured WordPress with too many plugins querying the database inefficiently can cause the site to break on a shared server with a single page view (run up against procwatch RAM or CPU limits).

It really depends upon the site.

–rlparker
–DreamHost Tech Support

OP’s kavoir site is well designed and pretty light. Caching is always a good idea tho.

Well then please give me a range. Let’s assume:

1. Single site hosted with DH $8 / month shared plan.
  2. Fresh wordpress 2.7.1 installation with no plugins at all (thus no cache).
  3. Pure text posts
  4. All visits are spread evenly across the time (so there’s no surges or bursts).
  5. Light design, less than 10 HTTP requests per page.

If there’s more you need to assume, please do so and give me a figure or a range. A figure that makes it necessary that you urge the client to upgrade to a PS.

Thanks!

Make a Website

In the scenario that you provided, you should have no trouble making 30,000 page views per day - it’s just never wise to make hypothetical predictions with dynamically generated pages. There is also absolutely no reason not to cache in a situation like what you have described.

Serving the HTTP requests will not be the issue - database connections and CPU/RAM to produce the page are the potential issues :wink:

–rlparker
–DreamHost Tech Support

I’m curious as to why you appear averse in implementing a caching mechanism.

Thanks for the estimation. Some WHT folks told me though that it’s fair to expect 100,000 page views per day by such assumptions on a shared plan.

It’s not that I’m never going to use cache, but just for the sake of estimation. :slight_smile: Now I know with cache it may exceed like 60,000 or 80,000 per day safely?

Maybe I’m just concerned about this:

http://www.shanghaiwebhosting.com/choosing-a-web-host/how-to-know-whether-your-host-is-overselling

Make a Website

AH! Well, there is no doubt at all that DreamHost oversells, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. It is what allows you to have the level of service that you enjoy at the prices we offer. For a good explanation of how all that really works, check out our blog post:

http://blog.dreamhost.com/2006/05/18/the-truth-about-overselling.

In fact, for more discussion about “hits” and “traffic” and PS vs shared, you might also find this interesting:

http://blog.dreamhost.com/2007/08/10/the-internet-is-not-for-people

In that last one, you will see that the problems from “high traffic” dynamic sites are not likely to be caused by human visitors at all, but rather by bots (hence the need to fire up that cache!). :wink:

If you take those figures in the post you referenced above, given our quad processor machines, you will likely find your server running in good shape load wise the great majority of the time (of course, there are exceptional transient spikes). It’s all about the trade off between resources and value, and what we try to do is give the most possible performance for the smallest amount of money feasible. For the great majority if sites, this works very well, for others, there are PS servers, which give you many of the advantages of a dedicated box at a fraction of the cost.

–rlparker
–DreamHost Tech Support

Thanks rlparker, you’ve been very helpful!

I’m with you on this, it’s well justified by the price. I’ll recommend DH to my friend and see what he says.

Make a Website