One Click Upgrade of WordPress to 2.01 Didn't Work

wordpress

I got the Dreamhost newsletter this morning about the new One Click Upgrade. So I backed up my site and database and then went to the “One Click Upgrade” panel and upgraded to WordPress 2.01. That was many hours ago and I never got the confirmation email and it seems to not have done anything to my wordpress.

Anyone else have this problem?

pope

Same problem here. Nothing ever happened.

After I posted that I finally got an error message, 4 hours later:

"The problem was you don’t own directory /home/username/mydomain.com

Please correct this and go to our web panel and re-submit your wordpress installation request."

That is pretty weird because I initially did the one click install on this account with no problem, but now it won’t let me upgrade?

I haven’t tried a one-click WP upgrade… but I think it requires that you re-install/move any templates, custom files, or plug-ins that you were using.

If you run a default installation, that’s not a big deal.

If you’re using custom code, templates, or a lot of plugins, you might want to take a look at the regular upgrade procedure at wordpress.org.

When you do it that way, you don’t move/overwrite you content directory, config file, etc. You just deactivate plug-ins, delete the files listed, upload new files, run domain.com/wp-admin/upgrade.php, then re-activate your plug-ins.

Then just check to make sure everything looks right. If you don’t run the upgrade script, things will look screwy.

Certain themes might need tweaking or updating for 2.0+ for anyone upgrading from 1.x versions.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save $96 at Dreamhost with the 96DOLLARSOFF promo code.

Update: I just tried it and it worked, but I still had to run domain.com/wp-admin/upgrade.php. You will also have to re-install/move any custom code, templates, plug-ins, etc… that you were using before.

On a default installation, I think you could get away with just doing the one-click upgrade, then run yourdomain.com/wp-admin/upgrade.php.

I usually mess around with themes and plug-ins, so in my case, I think it’s actually easier for me to do the standard upgrade.

I’m still glad to see that they added upgrading to the one-click section, though. There are probably a lot of people running the default setup, so it should be easy for them.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save $96 at Dreamhost with the 96DOLLARSOFF promo code.