I am such a beginner that even the beginner’s threads confuse me!
Here is my situation:
- I want to host my previous WP blog (including all my old posts) on Dreamhost with a new url.
- I downloaded the old “blog” folder from my previous server.
- I re-configured the config file in the blog folder.
- My previous host sent me the sql file.
- I re-configured that as well.
- I uploaded both the blog folder and the sql folder to my Dreamhost ftp.
- Both files are in my folder mydomainname.com on ftp.
- When I typed in my new url, the Dreamhost generic page comes up.
- I re-named the blog folder “index.html”
- Now when I type in mydomainname.com/index.html, the WP setup page comes on.
- How can I get my old blog active rather than the new WP blog set up?
- How can I make it so that my blog comes up with just mydomainname.com rather than adding the index.html (it is a business site and I just want it to be clean on my business cards)?
I sure hope someone out there can help as I have been teaching myself all of these steps for a week now and I am about to lose my mind!