Okay, I figured out how to set up a page

… and get it running, and get the images to show up (thanks to those who helped!). Now, how do I create a second page (same domain, just a second page, and a third, and so on)? Do I create a new sub-directory for it? What am I supposed to call it? (I mean does it need to be called something specific, like the home page has to be called “index.html”?

TIA!

Gemini,

You build each subsequent page the same way you built the first one. You can place it in any directory you wish, but you can only have one file named “index.html” in each directory.

Now is the time to stop, think about what you want your"site" (as opposed to a single page) to include. If you only plan to have a few pages, it is acceptable practice to place those pages n the “main” directory where you placed your index.html. You can name then anyway you wish (of course, avoiding spaces or puctuation characters), and, if they are all going to be html pages lilke your index page, they should all have the .html file type.

Once you have decided that you want to have, for example, a CV.html, services.html, references.html, resources.html, etc., you have to provide a method for visitors to navigate between those pages on your site.

Maybe you want a “menu” of links between the pages across the top of each page, the bottom of each page (or both top and bottom), or down the left, or down the right, etc.

As you build each page and upload it to your directory (with the images in the “images” directory) you will add links to the new page to the index.html page, and a link from the new page to the index.html page.

Adding links is a lot like adding images, but instead of “linking” to images that are displaying “inline” with your existing page, you insert links to the new page, using NVU’s “Insert Hyperlink” command.

Repeat till done and, at the most elemental level, you now have a website.

You will find things easier going if you pencil out on paper what your structure is intended to be for the site, and use a consistent linking strategy for each page, so the visitor doesn’t have to look all over to see where to go to find another page.

You have no doubt seen what I an describing on every site you visit; just look at what others have done, and make it your own.

Remember, you can look at the code that build another site by using the “view source” feature of your browser. That is how we all learn :wink:

Regards,
–rlparker

So to clarify:

If want a “Resources” link on my main page, I:

• create a NVU document called Resources.html
  • upload it to my FTP server
  • make sure the word “Resources” on the main page is linked to http://www.mysite.com/Resources

Then, technically, I should be able to click on the link “Resources” on my main page and it should connect me to www.mysite.com/Resources, right? Or am I missing a step here? I am doing all of the above, but getting a URL Not Found message.

I am not sure if the above was a typo or not, but you should link to http://www.mysite.com/Resources.html

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

It was not a typo–I knew I was missing something obvious, and that was it. Thanks so much.

I see I am “late to the party” today, and that our friend Raz2133 seems to have you squared way, as I visited your page and, while some lilnks are still “broken”, others work properly, so you are getting the hang of it.

Noticing your file naming scheme: On webservers, CasE Does MATTER, so make sure the filenames are capitalized the same as the hyperlink that references it. A simple inconsistent capitalization will “break” the link and cause the browser to complain “not found” :wink:

–rlparker