Ok, NOW what the hell is going on with the VPS's?

All of a sudden, our site stopped working and started throwing 500 errors. Looking at the error.log, it seems that dispatch.fcgi is all of a sudden bad juju. I logged into the site by SSH and discovered that the bash prompt had changed. It seems they are changing things and it nuked our custom php.ini install and config.

Anyone have a reasonable explanation for this or are idle hads once again the devil’s workshop? Of course, I am not even getting emailed acknowledgements of receipt of support tickets I drop. I am starting to get a bit concerned about the overall health of DH and its Tech Support. In the past, they would have been on our two sites being down like ugly on an ape.

There was mention awhile back that they were implementing a way so that all stock DH php-cgi would be running as fcgi. If your wrapper is calling a DH php-cgi (and that cgi is now already running as fcgi) then passing extra fcgi arguments to it would throw 500’s all over the show after they made the switch.

Edit .htaccess to call a standard dispatch.cgi

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Well, that doesn’t work. Apparently, they have stuffed something.

AddHandler php-cgi .php
Action php-cgi /cgi-bin/dispatch.cgi
AddHandler fastcgi-script fcg fcgi fpl
AddHandler php-fastcgi .php
Action php-fastcgi /cgi-bin/dispatch.fcgi<–==I changed that to “dispatch.cgi”. Got this:

Warning: require_once(/home/.astra/temporary1/worldnewstrust.com/includes/joomla.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/temporary1/worldnewstrust.com/administrator/index2.php on line 31

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required ‘/home/.astra/temporary1/worldnewstrust.com/includes/joomla.php’ (include_path=’.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php’) in /home/temporary1/worldnewstrust.com/administrator/index2.php on line 31

Too many handlers! :wink:

You need to # those fcgi lines.

AddHandler php-cgi .php Action php-cgi /cgi-bin/dispatch.cgi #AddHandler fastcgi-script fcg fcgi fpl #AddHandler php-fastcgi .php #Action php-fastcgi /cgi-bin/dispatch.fcgi

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

By chance have they moved you to another server? Regardless, anything you have that includes “.astra” needs to have that part of the path removed so it’s just /home/temporary1/blahblah. Having that dataglob (.astra) will break your site if and when you get switched over to the newfangled servers.

-Scott