Offsite DB Question

Does DH allow for connection to external db? My site has a ginormous DB and I want to host the that part of it offsite. Cool? Cool up to a certain point? Not cool at all?

Any help greatly appreciated! :slight_smile:

Web Design

Do you mean to host the DB at DreamHost, or elsewhere? If your database is elsewhere, it’s no load on DreamHost’s end, so I doubt they’ll care. If you want to host a DB here that doesn’t support a website hosted here, my guess would be no, but you’d have to contact Support for a definitive answer.

-Scott

Nah, front-end website would be hosted here, but backend db would be on another dedicated mysql box. Only thing it would use is bandwidth.

Web Design

Sounds reasonable to me. I’m not aware of DreamHost blocking outgoing ports, but you can ask Support if you want to be 100% certain it’s ok. I think they’d be happy that you’re offloading a major DB chore.

-Scott

Sure you can, I host my DBs all across the world and access them from DH. But just a thought, if performance is important - why not MySQL PS? I have noticed that the biggest problem with hosting DBs somewhere else is network speed and slow pings.

Jan

Promo-Code: [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY97[/color] - Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on your first year of hosting.
Get more promo codes here