Officially moving to 1and1.com!

i was with 1and1 for a year and a half. i didn’t know web hosting should be better. i wasn’t satisfied. even with the ticket system, customer service was a big hassle.

shnot,

you even must admit the past 3-4 mos here have been extremely trying…maybe they will improve, but i cannot afford to stick around to wait for that to maybe happen

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

Mark,

that is the one thing that i have been warned about with 1and1 is about transferring domains out of there…luckily the 5 freebies i chose i really dont care if i ever have to leave there if i take them with me or not…the rest are all purchased under directnic where i can completely control DNS records :slight_smile:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

gggbobby,

when i originally signed on with DH, i planned on staying forever. It was recommended to me by a family member who has used DH since its inception back in 96 or 98 or something :S

Since than, their service and support has gone kaput and their usually stable e-mail, and SQL has gone by the wayside…even their very own emergency status page has not been updated in over 2 weeks :S

DH used to be a good thing, now they are just average and unfortunately, i cannot wait for them to work their own bugs out. Even the family member who first referred me to them is leaving as well after around 7 years…

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

<<That’s a red herring. What does a preference for Linux (whether that preference is based on cost, security, stabiltiy, scalability, flexibility, ease of management, or a combination of all these things) have to do with their current short-staffing problem? I’m just trying to figure out how your logic works here.>>

the preference for Linux-only servers compiled with the recent strain on their support systems simply demonstrate that they either do not have adequate resources (staffing/money/etc) to see this thing through. They should have never gone into the code monster thing, some things are better left small with purchased add-ons. They have taken a completely good hosting service and seem to be running it into the ground. We build and upload at least 30-40 pages per day and the time-out issues, e-mail issues, and support issues have grown by leaps and bounds since we started to look at our site from a day to day operation. My feelings (which could be wrong) are that most DH users simply build a site and host it at DH without doing day to day maintenance and upgrades and those folks are probably the ones with the least problems because they do not even realize that their site is down or not functioning properly (the system status panel that DH utilizes is a joke - my third party system shows my uptime numbers to be around 95.67% overall (whereas DH always shows 100% even when they admitted their servers to be down)…

<<I think they’ve offered a perfectly reasonable explanation. Their prices are great for what they give you; $20/month for a huge number of services. Obviously high-traffic sites or users with a greater need for technical support should look for something a little more appropriate for their situation whether it’s a dedicated server here or a different hosting package elsewhere. No sevice is going to be perfect for everyone, but hey, that’s what the free market is for.>>

All they seem to be doing is giving people more bandwith or disk space to pacify the situation. I do have news for you as well, there are PLENTY web host providers that offer what DH does at $20/month for shared hosting…plenty…go to webhostingtalk.com for further information

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

That’s a red herring. What does a preference for Linux (whether that preference is based on cost, security, stabiltiy, scalability, flexibility, ease of management, or a combination of all these things) have to do with whether or not they have adequate resources to see this thing through? I’m just trying to figure out how your logic works here.

MacManX.com
I don’t work here. I’m just your typical support forum volunteer.

I’m just speaking up as an “example” of a satisfied DH customer. I update my site(s) every day, and also have an external service monitering uptime/connection speed, etc. Most weeks/months have absolutely no downtime, and I don’t have problems with ftp, mysql, or anything. While this won’t be the experience every person has with any host, it is at least one good example here. Again, please just do lots of open-minded, thorough research before choosing any host.

~Chell

[quote]Obviously high-traffic sites or users with a greater need for
technical support should look for something a little more
appropriate for their situation whether it’s a dedicated server here or…

[/quote]

I’d be grateful if you can tell me what greateer provision of tech suppoort DH give their dedicated server users.

Don’t bother. He’s obviously not interested in explaining how he comes to these conclusions of his. I still don’t get the connection between overloaded servers and running Linux, when by his own admission, an equal number of Windows servers could only handle a fraction of the load.

Anyway, I thought he said he was leaving. You know, I’m beginning to think he’s just here to astroturf for 1and1…

If You Want Useful Replies, Ask Smart Questions

I have no idea, I haven’t ever leased one. You might check their service comparison page.

I mentioned the dedicated server as an option for high-traffic sites so that they can avoid any possible overloading issues on the shared machines. A better solution for those in need of more technical support might be service from a web host who provides phone support. Different service levels for different needs, you know. DH doesn’t offer an appropriate level of service for people who need a high level of technical support. There’s nothing wrong with that as long as they’re up-front about it (which they are).

If You Want Useful Replies, Ask Smart Questions

[quote]…there are PLENTY web host providers that offer what DH
does at $20/month for shared hosting…plenty…go to
webhostingtalk.com for further information

[/quote]

Name two. Heck, name one.